If not for the eerie music, it’d be easy to mistake much of this schizy thriller for a romantic comedy with a serious case of the blahs. The trouble starts and ends with the rickety script, in which a therapist (Anne Hathaway) uncovers suspicious details about a plane crash while falling for its hunkiest survivor (Patrick Wilson, occasionally clothed). The actors make a noble effort, but Passengers turns out to be just another dud in the genre of revisionist mysteries that have been messing with our heads since Haley Joel Osment saw dead people. Only this time, the big reveal doesn’t so much twist the plot as snap its neck. C
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Anne Hathaway, Patrick Wilson, Clea DuVall, David Morse; Director: Rodrigo Garcia; Author: Ronnie Christensen; Release Date Wide: 10/24/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted October 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters