If not for the eerie music, it’d be easy to mistake much of this schizy thriller for a romantic comedy with a serious case of the blahs. The trouble starts and ends with the rickety script, in which a therapist (Anne Hathaway) uncovers suspicious details about a plane crash while falling for its hunkiest survivor (Patrick Wilson, occasionally clothed). The actors make a noble effort, but Passengers turns out to be just another dud in the genre of revisionist mysteries that have been messing with our heads since Haley Joel Osment saw dead people. Only this time, the big reveal doesn’t so much twist the plot as snap its neck. C
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Anne Hathaway, Patrick Wilson, Clea DuVall, David Morse; Director: Rodrigo Garcia; Author: Ronnie Christensen; Release Date Wide: 10/24/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Survivor' exclusive sneak peek: Watch the 'Worlds Apart' merge
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!