If not for the eerie music, it’d be easy to mistake much of this schizy thriller for a romantic comedy with a serious case of the blahs. The trouble starts and ends with the rickety script, in which a therapist (Anne Hathaway) uncovers suspicious details about a plane crash while falling for its hunkiest survivor (Patrick Wilson, occasionally clothed). The actors make a noble effort, but Passengers turns out to be just another dud in the genre of revisionist mysteries that have been messing with our heads since Haley Joel Osment saw dead people. Only this time, the big reveal doesn’t so much twist the plot as snap its neck. C
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Anne Hathaway, Patrick Wilson, Clea DuVall, David Morse; Director: Rodrigo Garcia; Author: Ronnie Christensen; Release Date Wide: 10/24/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted October 24 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the trailer and read an exclusive excerpt from 'The Dead House' by Dawn Kurtagich
- Tawney breaks down in 'Rectify' exclusive clip
- 'Fantastic Four' cast to make their first late-night appearance on 'WWHL' — exclusive
- Ed Helms rescues Bear Grylls on 'Running Wild' (well, sort of)
- 'Daily Show' producers on Jon Stewart's last show: 'Donald Trump is not coming on'
- Drew Pearce offers update on future 'Ghostbusters' project
- A quick guide to the different versions of 'Holiday Road' in 'Vacation'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ed Helms, Jenny McCarthy, Joel Edgerton & More!