If not for the eerie music, it’d be easy to mistake much of this schizy thriller for a romantic comedy with a serious case of the blahs. The trouble starts and ends with the rickety script, in which a therapist (Anne Hathaway) uncovers suspicious details about a plane crash while falling for its hunkiest survivor (Patrick Wilson, occasionally clothed). The actors make a noble effort, but Passengers turns out to be just another dud in the genre of revisionist mysteries that have been messing with our heads since Haley Joel Osment saw dead people. Only this time, the big reveal doesn’t so much twist the plot as snap its neck. C
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Anne Hathaway, Patrick Wilson, Clea DuVall, David Morse; Director: Rodrigo Garcia; Author: Ronnie Christensen; Release Date Wide: 10/24/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Daytime Emmys 2015 winners are...
- 'Game of Thrones': Kit Harington on Jon's brutal decision
- 'Game of Thrones' team explains their choices on Sansa's story
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: 'We aren't perfect, but we are determined'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'