The line between teen angst and demonic possession gets even blurrier in The Haunting of Molly Hartley, a lightweight horror pic about a troubled 17-year-old (Haley Bennett) who tries to escape her spooky past by enrolling at a posh prep school. Soon enough, homework gets neglected as she’s plagued by headaches and creepy visions — not to mention lame pick-up lines from the resident pretty boy (Chace Crawford, looking like he got lost on his way to the Gossip Girl set). The story’s a snooze, so the filmmakers punch it up with smash cuts and thunderclaps that turn the most laughably banal items — birds, mail, an alarm clock — into cheap jack-in-the-box shocks. They’ll make you flinch — but then again, so will most of the dialogue. C?
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Haley Bennett, Chace Crawford; Director: Mickey Liddell; Author: John Travis, Rebecca Sonnenshine; Release Date Wide: 10/31/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Freestyle Releasing
Posted October 31 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!