The line between teen angst and demonic possession gets even blurrier in The Haunting of Molly Hartley, a lightweight horror pic about a troubled 17-year-old (Haley Bennett) who tries to escape her spooky past by enrolling at a posh prep school. Soon enough, homework gets neglected as she’s plagued by headaches and creepy visions — not to mention lame pick-up lines from the resident pretty boy (Chace Crawford, looking like he got lost on his way to the Gossip Girl set). The story’s a snooze, so the filmmakers punch it up with smash cuts and thunderclaps that turn the most laughably banal items — birds, mail, an alarm clock — into cheap jack-in-the-box shocks. They’ll make you flinch — but then again, so will most of the dialogue. C?
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Haley Bennett, Chace Crawford; Director: Mickey Liddell; Author: John Travis, Rebecca Sonnenshine; Release Date Wide: 10/31/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Freestyle Releasing
Posted October 31 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Subway drops Jared Fogle amid FBI investigation
- Grateful Dead's farewell shows earned estimated $55 million
- Go inside the studio with Janet Jackson in her lyric video for 'No Sleeep'
- Paula Deen fires social media manager responsible for offensive tweet
- 'Star Wars': 'Lego Movie' directors will pilot Han Solo movie
- Amy Schumer, Aziz Ansari to headline Oddball Comedy Fest
- Sonia Manzano remembers 44 years as Maria on Sesame Street
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!