The line between teen angst and demonic possession gets even blurrier in The Haunting of Molly Hartley, a lightweight horror pic about a troubled 17-year-old (Haley Bennett) who tries to escape her spooky past by enrolling at a posh prep school. Soon enough, homework gets neglected as she’s plagued by headaches and creepy visions — not to mention lame pick-up lines from the resident pretty boy (Chace Crawford, looking like he got lost on his way to the Gossip Girl set). The story’s a snooze, so the filmmakers punch it up with smash cuts and thunderclaps that turn the most laughably banal items — birds, mail, an alarm clock — into cheap jack-in-the-box shocks. They’ll make you flinch — but then again, so will most of the dialogue. C?
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Haley Bennett, Chace Crawford; Director: Mickey Liddell; Author: John Travis, Rebecca Sonnenshine; Release Date Wide: 10/31/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Freestyle Releasing
Posted October 31 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: M. Night Shyamalan's new supernatural thriller adds four actors
- 'Chicago Fire' recap: 'Let it Burn'
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Pig Out'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized after he was found unconscious at brothel
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6