The line between teen angst and demonic possession gets even blurrier in The Haunting of Molly Hartley, a lightweight horror pic about a troubled 17-year-old (Haley Bennett) who tries to escape her spooky past by enrolling at a posh prep school. Soon enough, homework gets neglected as she’s plagued by headaches and creepy visions — not to mention lame pick-up lines from the resident pretty boy (Chace Crawford, looking like he got lost on his way to the Gossip Girl set). The story’s a snooze, so the filmmakers punch it up with smash cuts and thunderclaps that turn the most laughably banal items — birds, mail, an alarm clock — into cheap jack-in-the-box shocks. They’ll make you flinch — but then again, so will most of the dialogue. C?
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Haley Bennett, Chace Crawford; Director: Mickey Liddell; Author: John Travis, Rebecca Sonnenshine; Release Date Wide: 10/31/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Freestyle Releasing
Posted October 31 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jon Stewart gives Seth Rollins the 'Daily' shoe--below the belt--on WWE Raw
- First look: Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Edward Snowden
- Watch the first gameplay trailer for Harmonix's 'Amplitude'
- Kelly Clarkson + Jimmy Fallon in 11-duet medley
- From 'People': Suge Knight hospitalized again, says he 'can't really see'
- Arnold Schwarzenegger to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame
- From People: Texas man commemorates DressGate with tattoo of 'The Dress'