In 1997, the former warlord Charles Taylor became president of Liberia, unleashing one of those ”civil wars” that’s really a euphemism for chaos, mass murder, an end of civilization. More than 250,000 were killed, but the cycle of slaughter was faced down by a cadre of women who launched a Gandhi-esque crusade — and lo, it worked. Gini Reticker’s simply made, affecting documentary Pray the Devil Back to Hell reveals how these heroic ordinary women prodded the factions to peace and literally brought down Taylor, a leader of sociopathic cruelty. B+
Pray the Devil Back to Hell In 1997, the former warlord Charles Taylor became president of Liberia, unleashing one of those ''civil wars'' that's really a euphemism for chaos, mass...Pray the Devil Back to HellDocumentaryPT72MUnrated In 1997, the former warlord Charles Taylor became president of Liberia, unleashing one of those ''civil wars'' that's really a euphemism for chaos, mass...2008-11-05
Genre: Documentary; Director: Virginia Reticker; Runtime (in minutes): 72; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 5 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!