In 1997, the former warlord Charles Taylor became president of Liberia, unleashing one of those ”civil wars” that’s really a euphemism for chaos, mass murder, an end of civilization. More than 250,000 were killed, but the cycle of slaughter was faced down by a cadre of women who launched a Gandhi-esque crusade — and lo, it worked. Gini Reticker’s simply made, affecting documentary Pray the Devil Back to Hell reveals how these heroic ordinary women prodded the factions to peace and literally brought down Taylor, a leader of sociopathic cruelty. B+
Pray the Devil Back to Hell In 1997, the former warlord Charles Taylor became president of Liberia, unleashing one of those ''civil wars'' that's really a euphemism for chaos, mass...Pray the Devil Back to HellDocumentaryPT72MUnrated In 1997, the former warlord Charles Taylor became president of Liberia, unleashing one of those ''civil wars'' that's really a euphemism for chaos, mass...2008-11-05
Genre: Documentary; Director: Virginia Reticker; Runtime (in minutes): 72; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!