In 1997, the former warlord Charles Taylor became president of Liberia, unleashing one of those ”civil wars” that’s really a euphemism for chaos, mass murder, an end of civilization. More than 250,000 were killed, but the cycle of slaughter was faced down by a cadre of women who launched a Gandhi-esque crusade — and lo, it worked. Gini Reticker’s simply made, affecting documentary Pray the Devil Back to Hell reveals how these heroic ordinary women prodded the factions to peace and literally brought down Taylor, a leader of sociopathic cruelty. B+
Pray the Devil Back to Hell In 1997, the former warlord Charles Taylor became president of Liberia, unleashing one of those ''civil wars'' that's really a euphemism for chaos, mass...Pray the Devil Back to HellDocumentaryPT72MUnrated In 1997, the former warlord Charles Taylor became president of Liberia, unleashing one of those ''civil wars'' that's really a euphemism for chaos, mass...2008-11-05
Genre: Documentary; Director: Virginia Reticker; Runtime (in minutes): 72; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 5 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- Celebrate the 10-year anniversary of Rihanna's 'Music of the Sun' with 11 fun facts about the album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!