Kick-starting an era of swords, sandals, and scantily clad slave girls, Mervyn LeRoy’s gorgeously gaudy Quo Vadis details Rome under Nero (Ustinov) as he persecutes Christians and burns his city. Robert Taylor and Deborah Kerr round out a cast of, literally, thousands (30,000!) in an epic that, according to exhaustive EXTRAS (like critic F.X. Feeney’s commentary), was almost directed by John Huston. Forget Gladiator; this is the quintessential historical spectacle. B+
Quo Vadis Kick-starting an era of swords, sandals, and scantily clad slave girls, Mervyn LeRoy's gorgeously gaudy Quo Vadis details Rome under...Quo VadisRomance, DramaS.N. Behrman, Sonya Levien, John Lee MahinPT174MUnrated Kick-starting an era of swords, sandals, and scantily clad slave girls, Mervyn LeRoy's gorgeously gaudy Quo Vadis details Rome under...2008-11-05Deborah KerrPeter UstinovDeborah Kerr, Peter Ustinov
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Robert Taylor, Deborah Kerr, Peter Ustinov; Director: Mervyn LeRoy; Author: S.N. Behrman, Sonya Levien, John Lee Mahin; Runtime (in minutes): 174; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!