Kick-starting an era of swords, sandals, and scantily clad slave girls, Mervyn LeRoy’s gorgeously gaudy Quo Vadis details Rome under Nero (Ustinov) as he persecutes Christians and burns his city. Robert Taylor and Deborah Kerr round out a cast of, literally, thousands (30,000!) in an epic that, according to exhaustive EXTRAS (like critic F.X. Feeney’s commentary), was almost directed by John Huston. Forget Gladiator; this is the quintessential historical spectacle. B+
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Robert Taylor, Deborah Kerr, Peter Ustinov; Director: Mervyn LeRoy; Author: S.N. Behrman, Sonya Levien, John Lee Mahin; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 174; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 5 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Significant Mother' react: What did you think?
- Casting Net: Ali Larter returns for 'Resident Evil: The Final Chapter'
- Amazon defends making a TV show with Woody Allen
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale are divorcing
- 'Supergirl' taps Jenna Dewan-Tatum as Lucy Lane
- Jenny Slate declares 'Climate Deniers Be Cray!' in new video
- Kevin Bacon talks 'Cop Car': 'I'm numb to s--- blowing up'