Kick-starting an era of swords, sandals, and scantily clad slave girls, Mervyn LeRoy’s gorgeously gaudy Quo Vadis details Rome under Nero (Ustinov) as he persecutes Christians and burns his city. Robert Taylor and Deborah Kerr round out a cast of, literally, thousands (30,000!) in an epic that, according to exhaustive EXTRAS (like critic F.X. Feeney’s commentary), was almost directed by John Huston. Forget Gladiator; this is the quintessential historical spectacle. B+
Quo Vadis Kick-starting an era of swords, sandals, and scantily clad slave girls, Mervyn LeRoy's gorgeously gaudy Quo Vadis details Rome under...Quo VadisRomance, DramaS.N. Behrman, Sonya Levien, John Lee MahinPT174MUnrated Kick-starting an era of swords, sandals, and scantily clad slave girls, Mervyn LeRoy's gorgeously gaudy Quo Vadis details Rome under...2008-11-05Deborah KerrPeter UstinovDeborah Kerr, Peter Ustinov
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Robert Taylor, Deborah Kerr, Peter Ustinov; Director: Mervyn LeRoy; Author: S.N. Behrman, Sonya Levien, John Lee Mahin; Runtime (in minutes): 174; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 5 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sphero's BB-8 toy: You want this
- See Ethan Hawke as Chet Baker in a 'Born to Be Blue' clip
- Boba Fett finally escapes Tatooine in fan-made trailer
- 'Mr. Robot' creator explains why you were supposed to guess the big twist
- How Soundgarden's Chris Cornell overcame stage fright for new solo set
- 'Contracted: Phase II' director talks about his 'surreal' VMAs experience
- Sneak Peek: Early scoop from EW's Shondaland issue
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!