Kick-starting an era of swords, sandals, and scantily clad slave girls, Mervyn LeRoy’s gorgeously gaudy Quo Vadis details Rome under Nero (Ustinov) as he persecutes Christians and burns his city. Robert Taylor and Deborah Kerr round out a cast of, literally, thousands (30,000!) in an epic that, according to exhaustive EXTRAS (like critic F.X. Feeney’s commentary), was almost directed by John Huston. Forget Gladiator; this is the quintessential historical spectacle. B+
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Robert Taylor, Deborah Kerr, Peter Ustinov; Director: Mervyn LeRoy; Author: S.N. Behrman, Sonya Levien, John Lee Mahin; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season
Posted November 5 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters