Originally due out late last summer before getting bumped to Dec. 9, Ciara’s third CD, Fantasy Ride, has now been delayed until next year. Blame it on the disappointing performance of the first single, “Go Girl,” featuring and produced by T-Pain. Proof that not everything he touches turns into a hit, the sultry dance groove quickly vanished from Billboard’s all-important Hot 100 chart no sooner than it debuted (and peaked) at a modest No. 78. “The response to ‘Go Girl’ wasn’t strong enough to ignite an album,” says a rep for the Zomba Label Group. “It’s a nice setup single because [the video] introduces Ciara’s new look and her new body, but it’s not the opener.” Another setback: Pressure to match the multiplatinum success of her first two discs, 2004’s Goodies and 2006’s Ciara: The Evolution, plus stiff competition from Britney, Beyoncé, and the Energizer Bunny known as Rihanna. “Ciara opened very wide with her first album, which gave her a broad audience and crossover appeal. Her second album was a little more urban. With Fantasy Ride, they’re trying to strike a balance [between pop and urban] while looking for the right single.” So, what’s CiCi’s latest release date and just how firm is it? “Right now, we are anticipating it for spring 2009, but we’re not gonna put another date on it.” Goodness gracious! Sounds like this Fantasy Ride has become quite the bumpy journey.
Posted November 17 2008 — 10:55 PM EST
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'