After signing up for trials of a new happy pill, a geeky parking cop (Michael Rapaport) develops superhuman powers — or so he thinks. Sounds like a great Jim Carrey vehicle, but Special is dead serious — and set on making you think instead of laugh. The result is a minor-key riff on Don Quixote that struggles against heavy-handed plotting and the awkward humor of a man in a hand-sewn bodysuit running headfirst into walls. But thanks to Rapaport’s brio in embracing the hero’s drug-induced delusions, the movie is less a failure than a noble experiment gone awry. C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Michael Rapaport, Jack Kehler, Josh Peck; Director: Hal Haberman, Jeremy Passmore; Author: Hal Haberman, Jeremy Passmore; Release Date Limited: 11/21/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnet
Posted November 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- The modern relevancy of Monday night's surprise 'Gotham' twist
- Dateline shares first-look clip of upcoming special 'Cosby Accusers Speak'
- Ryan Murphy has already asked Lady Gaga to join 'AHS' season 6
- New 'Rocky Horror Show' gets BBC America premiere date
- Misha Collins releases behind-the-scenes look at filming 'Supernatural'
- How 'Twilight' fans reacted to the gender-swapping 'Twilight: Reimagined'
- See the action-packed final trailer for 'Mockingjay - Part 2'