After signing up for trials of a new happy pill, a geeky parking cop (Michael Rapaport) develops superhuman powers — or so he thinks. Sounds like a great Jim Carrey vehicle, but Special is dead serious — and set on making you think instead of laugh. The result is a minor-key riff on Don Quixote that struggles against heavy-handed plotting and the awkward humor of a man in a hand-sewn bodysuit running headfirst into walls. But thanks to Rapaport’s brio in embracing the hero’s drug-induced delusions, the movie is less a failure than a noble experiment gone awry. C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Michael Rapaport, Jack Kehler, Josh Peck; Director: Hal Haberman, Jeremy Passmore; Author: Hal Haberman, Jeremy Passmore; Release Date Limited: 11/21/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnet
Posted November 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Janet Jackson releases 'Dammn Baby' video
- Single Swap: Fresh suggestions for Drake, Nick Jonas and more
- Cannes to showcase John Malkovich movie no one will see for 100 years
- Jimmy Fallon's Donald Trump calls 'Barack Obama'
- George Clooney and Julia Roberts join Gwen Stefani for Carpool Karaoke
- Exclusive: Veronica Roth announces next book, 'Carve the Mark'
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst on possibility of a final two