After signing up for trials of a new happy pill, a geeky parking cop (Michael Rapaport) develops superhuman powers — or so he thinks. Sounds like a great Jim Carrey vehicle, but Special is dead serious — and set on making you think instead of laugh. The result is a minor-key riff on Don Quixote that struggles against heavy-handed plotting and the awkward humor of a man in a hand-sewn bodysuit running headfirst into walls. But thanks to Rapaport’s brio in embracing the hero’s drug-induced delusions, the movie is less a failure than a noble experiment gone awry. C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Michael Rapaport, Jack Kehler, Josh Peck; Director: Hal Haberman, Jeremy Passmore; Author: Hal Haberman, Jeremy Passmore; Release Date Limited: 11/21/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnet
Posted November 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade