After signing up for trials of a new happy pill, a geeky parking cop (Michael Rapaport) develops superhuman powers — or so he thinks. Sounds like a great Jim Carrey vehicle, but Special is dead serious — and set on making you think instead of laugh. The result is a minor-key riff on Don Quixote that struggles against heavy-handed plotting and the awkward humor of a man in a hand-sewn bodysuit running headfirst into walls. But thanks to Rapaport’s brio in embracing the hero’s drug-induced delusions, the movie is less a failure than a noble experiment gone awry. C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Michael Rapaport, Jack Kehler, Josh Peck; Director: Hal Haberman, Jeremy Passmore; Author: Hal Haberman, Jeremy Passmore; Release Date Limited: 11/21/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnet
Posted November 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Justin Timberlake's illegal voting booth selfie is 'under review'
- 'This Is Us' preview: Creator Dan Fogelman on 'The Game Plan'
- Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid perform Justin Bieber's 'Baby'
- Bob Saget teases 'Fuller House' Thanksgiving episode with new photo
- Donald Trump says he has ‘no interest’ in Trump TV
- Australian 'Bachelor' contestants fall in love with each other
- Amy Schumer responds to backlash from 'Formation' parody video
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop