After signing up for trials of a new happy pill, a geeky parking cop (Michael Rapaport) develops superhuman powers — or so he thinks. Sounds like a great Jim Carrey vehicle, but Special is dead serious — and set on making you think instead of laugh. The result is a minor-key riff on Don Quixote that struggles against heavy-handed plotting and the awkward humor of a man in a hand-sewn bodysuit running headfirst into walls. But thanks to Rapaport’s brio in embracing the hero’s drug-induced delusions, the movie is less a failure than a noble experiment gone awry. C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Michael Rapaport, Jack Kehler, Josh Peck; Director: Hal Haberman, Jeremy Passmore; Author: Hal Haberman, Jeremy Passmore; Release Date Limited: 11/21/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnet
Posted November 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- New 'Star Wars' toys revealed in 'Rogue One' stop-motion video
- 'Waco' miniseries starring Taylor Kitsch, Michael Shannon in the works
- Lauren Conrad has a girl crush on 'Game of Thrones' star Emilia Clarke
- Kerry Washington developing female police drama at ABC
- Garth Brooks to singing Ashton Kutcher: 'Don’t quit your day job'
- 'Dead of Summer': Who survived the deadly summer?
- Nick Viall named the next Bachelor