Sheri Reynolds’ novel is a short yet tender portrait of a little girl lost. Seventeen-year-old Kenny lived through the death of her mother, and now her father’s serving time for drug trafficking. As she struggles with abandonment and intense gender confusion, her life is rattled even further when she witnesses the tragic accidental murder of a teen in a neighboring home. As you turn The Sweet In-Between’s pages, Reynolds uncovers revelations about Kenny’s life that are more and more harrowing — e.g., borderline sexual assault from her stepbrother — but the novel still manages to come off as a, yes, sweet coming-of-age story, thanks to its young, wise-beyond-her-years, Scout Finch-esque heroine. B+
The Sweet In-BetweenSheri Reynolds' novel is a short yet tender portrait of a little girl lost. Seventeen-year-old Kenny lived through the death of her mother, and now her...The Sweet In-BetweenFictionSheri ReynoldsSheri Reynolds' novel is a short yet tender portrait of a little girl lost. Seventeen-year-old Kenny lived through the death of her mother, and now her...2008-11-26Shaye Areheart
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sheri Reynolds; Publisher: Shaye Areheart
Posted November 26 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Young Thug wants to call his next mixtape 'Carter V'
- Former Girls frontman Christopher Owens drops new album
- 'Pawn Sacrifice' trailer shows Bobby Fischer's greatest struggles
- Mariah and me(?!) on stage in Vegas: Tweet dreams are made of this...
- Critic's Mailbag: EW's movie critic wants to hear from you
- 'Marriage Boot Camp' welcomes... Jeff and Jordan from 'Big Brother?'
- U2 manager Dennis Sheehan dies
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!