Sheri Reynolds’ novel is a short yet tender portrait of a little girl lost. Seventeen-year-old Kenny lived through the death of her mother, and now her father’s serving time for drug trafficking. As she struggles with abandonment and intense gender confusion, her life is rattled even further when she witnesses the tragic accidental murder of a teen in a neighboring home. As you turn The Sweet In-Between’s pages, Reynolds uncovers revelations about Kenny’s life that are more and more harrowing — e.g., borderline sexual assault from her stepbrother — but the novel still manages to come off as a, yes, sweet coming-of-age story, thanks to its young, wise-beyond-her-years, Scout Finch-esque heroine. B+
The Sweet In-BetweenSheri Reynolds' novel is a short yet tender portrait of a little girl lost. Seventeen-year-old Kenny lived through the death of her mother, and now her...The Sweet In-BetweenFictionSheri ReynoldsSheri Reynolds' novel is a short yet tender portrait of a little girl lost. Seventeen-year-old Kenny lived through the death of her mother, and now her...2008-11-26Shaye Areheart
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sheri Reynolds; Status: In Season; Publisher: Shaye Areheart
Posted November 26 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!