There is something a tad wrong about foible-filled Hollywood folks lampooning Hollywood folks’ foibles. Moreover, co-writer/director Stiller first had the idea for this parody of Apocalypse Now-type filmmaking two decades ago — as he recalls in the minidoc ”Before the Thunder” — and it would certainly have possessed more bite back in the era of Platoon and Hamburger Hill. But Tropic Thunder boasts so many terrific grotesques — from Downey’s never-break-character thesp to Jack Black’s junkie comedian to Tom Cruise’s mercenary studio chief — that you ultimately forgive the film’s smugness and lateness. The meta-fun continues on the other extras, with Downey doing commentary in character (well, technically, his character’s character) and a fake Werner Herzog- esque making-of ”Rain of Madness.” B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Jay Baruchel, Robert Downey Jr.; Director: Ben Stiller; Author: Ben Stiller, Justin Theroux; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 26 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan had a 'Buffy' reunion
- Chris Pratt on being a sex symbol: 'Before, I was the sweaty guy who didn't give a s---'
- Munich Film Festival to honor Alexander Payne with retrospective
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!