There is something a tad wrong about foible-filled Hollywood folks lampooning Hollywood folks’ foibles. Moreover, co-writer/director Stiller first had the idea for this parody of Apocalypse Now-type filmmaking two decades ago — as he recalls in the minidoc ”Before the Thunder” — and it would certainly have possessed more bite back in the era of Platoon and Hamburger Hill. But Tropic Thunder boasts so many terrific grotesques — from Downey’s never-break-character thesp to Jack Black’s junkie comedian to Tom Cruise’s mercenary studio chief — that you ultimately forgive the film’s smugness and lateness. The meta-fun continues on the other extras, with Downey doing commentary in character (well, technically, his character’s character) and a fake Werner Herzog- esque making-of ”Rain of Madness.” B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Jay Baruchel, Robert Downey Jr.; Director: Ben Stiller; Author: Ben Stiller, Justin Theroux; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 26 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Box office report: 'Focus' beats 'Fifty Shades'
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!