There is something a tad wrong about foible-filled Hollywood folks lampooning Hollywood folks’ foibles. Moreover, co-writer/director Stiller first had the idea for this parody of Apocalypse Now-type filmmaking two decades ago — as he recalls in the minidoc ”Before the Thunder” — and it would certainly have possessed more bite back in the era of Platoon and Hamburger Hill. But Tropic Thunder boasts so many terrific grotesques — from Downey’s never-break-character thesp to Jack Black’s junkie comedian to Tom Cruise’s mercenary studio chief — that you ultimately forgive the film’s smugness and lateness. The meta-fun continues on the other extras, with Downey doing commentary in character (well, technically, his character’s character) and a fake Werner Herzog- esque making-of ”Rain of Madness.” B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Jay Baruchel, Robert Downey Jr.; Director: Ben Stiller; Author: Ben Stiller, Justin Theroux; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 26 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Terminator Genisys' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Rihanna's 'Bitch Better Have My Money' video is bonkers--and totally NSFW
- 'Sesame Street's' Maria is departing after more than 40 years
- Casting Net: Michael Ian Black and Missi Pyle sign on for 'Slash'
- Blood Orange releases Charleston-influenced song 'Do You See My Skin Through The Flames?'
- Rihanna has done something no one else has ever done
- Chumbawamba launched Kickstarter for I Get Knocked Down documentary