Is Usher the new Britney Spears? That’s the question I asked myself while watching his lackluster song and dance routine during the 2008 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, which aired on CBS on Wednesday night. It wasn’t as awful as Spears’ notoriously dreadful performance at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards, but it wasn’t much better either. Four years ago, when the Grammy-winning pop superstar was at the top of his game while promoting his 2004 CD, Confessions, Usher was a dazzling entertainer who exuded a unique blend of old-fashioned showmanship and modern sexuality. But that Usher – the one whose fancy footwork in the video for his anthemic smash “Yeah!” earned him comparisons to Michael Jackson – was a distant memory on Wednesday night, as he barely made an effort to work up a sweat on stage while giving one of the most disappointing public performances of his career.
Posted December 5 2008 — 6:06 PM EST
- Pioneering stand-up comedian Adrianne Tolsch dies at 78
- Jennifer Hudson's 'Hairspray Live!' performance had celebs cheering
- Relive 'Hairspray Live!' with all the best GIFs
- Jennifer Lopez teases 'Bye Bye Birdie,' NBC's next live musical
- Kristin Davis thinks the 'Sex and the City' story is 'not finished'
- The Weeknd will perform on 'The Voice' season finale
- 'Jeopardy!' contestant dies from cancer week before her episode airs
- This Is What the 2001 'Ocean's Eleven' Premiere Looked Like
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot