The lottery that journalist Steven Rinella won in 2005 wasn’t an ordinary one: He didn’t score money, or a car, but the right to hunt buffalo in the Alaskan wilderness. As he drags a carcass across the frozen terrain, dodging wolves and grizzlies who smell the ? fresh meat, Rinella places his journey in context with buffalo hunters of the last 14,000 years in American Buffalo. The history lesson — never dull — is studded with bizarre buffalo facts. (Did you know that burning buffalo dung smells a little like cinnamon and cloves? Or that there was an actual model for the buffalo-head nickel?) The story of our country, Rinella shows, is inextricably intertwined with the story of this animal. A?
American BuffaloThe lottery that journalist Steven Rinella won in 2005 wasn't an ordinary one: He didn't score money, or a car, but the right to hunt buffalo in the...American BuffaloNonfiction, MemoirSteven RinellaThe lottery that journalist Steven Rinella won in 2005 wasn't an ordinary one: He didn't score money, or a car, but the right to hunt buffalo in the...2008-12-10Spiegel & Grau
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Steven Rinella; Publisher: Spiegel & Grau
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!