The lottery that journalist Steven Rinella won in 2005 wasn’t an ordinary one: He didn’t score money, or a car, but the right to hunt buffalo in the Alaskan wilderness. As he drags a carcass across the frozen terrain, dodging wolves and grizzlies who smell the ? fresh meat, Rinella places his journey in context with buffalo hunters of the last 14,000 years in American Buffalo. The history lesson — never dull — is studded with bizarre buffalo facts. (Did you know that burning buffalo dung smells a little like cinnamon and cloves? Or that there was an actual model for the buffalo-head nickel?) The story of our country, Rinella shows, is inextricably intertwined with the story of this animal. A?
American BuffaloThe lottery that journalist Steven Rinella won in 2005 wasn't an ordinary one: He didn't score money, or a car, but the right to hunt buffalo in the...American BuffaloNonfiction, MemoirSteven RinellaThe lottery that journalist Steven Rinella won in 2005 wasn't an ordinary one: He didn't score money, or a car, but the right to hunt buffalo in the...2008-12-10Spiegel & Grau
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Steven Rinella; Publisher: Spiegel & Grau
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!