Fans of the Notorious B.I.G. have a lot to look forward to next month. For one, the soundtrack for Notorious, Fox Searchlight’s biopic of the late rapper, is due out on Jan. 13, just days before the movie opens on Jan. 16. (For more details about the album, check out our Hollywood Insider blog.) A new documentary about Biggie will also be released on DVD on Jan. 27. It’s called Rap Phenomenon and it’s all about what made him one of the greatest rappers of all time. A salacious biography it is not, but rather an earnest retrospective of the Brooklyn hip-hop heavyweight’s swagger, lyrics, flow, and legacy. Highlights include home videos, concert footage, and interviews with myriad friends, collaborators, journalists, and artists. Here’s a clip of music producer Deric “D-Dot” Angelettie revealing the story behind the making of 1997’s “Hypnotize,” followed by XXL editor-in-chief Datwon Thomas recalling the time he spotted a carefree B.I.G. joyfully dancing the conga at an industry party. It’s the kind of little known minutiae that diehard fans will appreciate.
Posted December 11 2008 — 4:18 PM EST
- NFL star Richard Sherman dressed as Harry Potter
- Celebrities wish Hillary Clinton a happy birthday
- WATCH: Ruth Wilson on 'I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House'
- WATCH: Werner Herzog got special permits to shoot volcano doc in North Korea
- 'Star Trek' TV series losing Bryan Fuller as showrunner
- Donald Glover comments on 'Star Wars' role for first time
- 'Pretty Little Liars' tell-all special to follow series finale
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers