Fans of the Notorious B.I.G. have a lot to look forward to next month. For one, the soundtrack for Notorious, Fox Searchlight’s biopic of the late rapper, is due out on Jan. 13, just days before the movie opens on Jan. 16. (For more details about the album, check out our Hollywood Insider blog.) A new documentary about Biggie will also be released on DVD on Jan. 27. It’s called Rap Phenomenon and it’s all about what made him one of the greatest rappers of all time. A salacious biography it is not, but rather an earnest retrospective of the Brooklyn hip-hop heavyweight’s swagger, lyrics, flow, and legacy. Highlights include home videos, concert footage, and interviews with myriad friends, collaborators, journalists, and artists. Here’s a clip of music producer Deric “D-Dot” Angelettie revealing the story behind the making of 1997’s “Hypnotize,” followed by XXL editor-in-chief Datwon Thomas recalling the time he spotted a carefree B.I.G. joyfully dancing the conga at an industry party. It’s the kind of little known minutiae that diehard fans will appreciate.
Posted December 11 2008 — 4:18 PM EST
- Jennifer Aniston confronts Vanessa Bayer over Rachel impression
- Donald Trump slams 'SNL' for sketch about his tweets
- Country singer Granger Smith hospitalized after on stage fall
- New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' trailer has lots of Baby Groot
- Netflix announces 'Sense8' Christmas special, season 2 premiere dates
- 'The Last of Us Part II' reveal trailer shows matured Ellie and Joel
- Madonna jokes with Sean Penn about remarrying to raise money for charity
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big