Based on Kate DiCamillo’s children’s book about a chivalrous mouse, The Tale of Despereaux looks like an illuminated manuscript brought to life. The screen glows with Renaissance golds, mice dressed like serfs, and a princess with Botticelli hair draped over a permanently foreshortened face. Too bad the story’s such a mess. As Despereaux (Matthew Broderick) tries to foil a royal kidnapping, his tale snags on loose-knit subplots about a seafaring rat (Dustin Hoffman), and a kingdom-wide obsession with soup. The latter, involving a snooty French chef and visions of floating veggies, gives the movie a whiff of leftover Ratatouille. C+
Genre: Comedy, Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Matthew Broderick, Emma Watson, Dustin Hoffman, Sigourney Weaver; Director: Sam Fell, Robert Stevenhagen; Author: Will McRobb, Chris Viscardi; Release Date Wide: 12/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Universal
Posted December 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!