Carl (Jim Carrey), a loan officer so morose he needs to have his arm twisted to go for drinks with friends, is ripe for conversion by a self-help guru (Terence Stamp) who orders him to say ”yes” to everything. Soon he’s giving cash to a bum, learning Korean, talking a man off a ledge, and wooing a punk rocker (Zooey Deschanel) he would never have met without his new ”philosophy.” This is basically a nerd-loosening-his-tie romantic comedy done in the manic-compulsive mode of Liar Liar. It has more chuckles than guffaws, though, maybe because Carrey has always been a comic actor who says yes yes yes. Literalizing that impulse only robs it of surprise. B?
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Terence Stamp; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Andrew Mogel, Jarrad Paul, Nicholas Stoller; Release Date Wide: 12/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted December 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- What to Watch Wednesday: Take sides in the 'Younger' love triangle
- James Corden performs with the Backstreet Boys
- See Usain Bolt dust James Corden and Owen Wilson in 100-meter race
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': The director's identity revealed?
- 'This Is Us' creator Dan Fogelman on that gut-punch ending
- 'Scream Queens': John Stamos on that 'pretty awkward' shower scene
- 'This Is Us': Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia on episode 2's twist