Carl (Jim Carrey), a loan officer so morose he needs to have his arm twisted to go for drinks with friends, is ripe for conversion by a self-help guru (Terence Stamp) who orders him to say ”yes” to everything. Soon he’s giving cash to a bum, learning Korean, talking a man off a ledge, and wooing a punk rocker (Zooey Deschanel) he would never have met without his new ”philosophy.” This is basically a nerd-loosening-his-tie romantic comedy done in the manic-compulsive mode of Liar Liar. It has more chuckles than guffaws, though, maybe because Carrey has always been a comic actor who says yes yes yes. Literalizing that impulse only robs it of surprise. B?
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Terence Stamp; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Andrew Mogel, Jarrad Paul, Nicholas Stoller; Release Date Wide: 12/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted December 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Steve Dillon, 'Preacher' comic book artist and co-creator, dies
- Adam Levine responds to sick teen's heartwarming Maroon 5 cover
- Tom Cruise addresses 'Top Gun 2' rumors: 'We're trying to figure it out'
- 'The Late Show': Stephen Colbert 'takes it to the streets' for interviews with New Yorkers
- Why David Lynch's 'Eraserhead' is the perfect Halloween movie
- Celebrities pay tribute to late stand-up comedian Kevin Meaney
- Donald Glover's 'Star Wars' casting sparks lively Internet reactions