Carl (Jim Carrey), a loan officer so morose he needs to have his arm twisted to go for drinks with friends, is ripe for conversion by a self-help guru (Terence Stamp) who orders him to say ”yes” to everything. Soon he’s giving cash to a bum, learning Korean, talking a man off a ledge, and wooing a punk rocker (Zooey Deschanel) he would never have met without his new ”philosophy.” This is basically a nerd-loosening-his-tie romantic comedy done in the manic-compulsive mode of Liar Liar. It has more chuckles than guffaws, though, maybe because Carrey has always been a comic actor who says yes yes yes. Literalizing that impulse only robs it of surprise. B?
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Terence Stamp; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Andrew Mogel, Jarrad Paul, Nicholas Stoller; Release Date Wide: 12/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted December 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- T.J. Miller reveals some of the lines too dirty for 'Deadpool'
- Nicholas Sparks: 'No one wanted to play Noah' in 'The Notebook'
- Emma Watson, Benedict Cumberbatch named visiting fellows at Oxford
- Salma Hayek visits ER in ‘inappropriate’ shirt after on-set injury
- 'The Witch' is 'a Puritan's nightmare' in new featurette
- War is coming in the 'Gods of Egypt' Super Bowl TV spot
- Stanford scientists prove to Stephen Colbert that Spider-Man could be real