Carl (Jim Carrey), a loan officer so morose he needs to have his arm twisted to go for drinks with friends, is ripe for conversion by a self-help guru (Terence Stamp) who orders him to say ”yes” to everything. Soon he’s giving cash to a bum, learning Korean, talking a man off a ledge, and wooing a punk rocker (Zooey Deschanel) he would never have met without his new ”philosophy.” This is basically a nerd-loosening-his-tie romantic comedy done in the manic-compulsive mode of Liar Liar. It has more chuckles than guffaws, though, maybe because Carrey has always been a comic actor who says yes yes yes. Literalizing that impulse only robs it of surprise. B?
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Terence Stamp; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Andrew Mogel, Jarrad Paul, Nicholas Stoller; Release Date Wide: 12/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted December 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Jennifer Holliday joining 'The Color Purple' revival
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...