Carl (Jim Carrey), a loan officer so morose he needs to have his arm twisted to go for drinks with friends, is ripe for conversion by a self-help guru (Terence Stamp) who orders him to say ”yes” to everything. Soon he’s giving cash to a bum, learning Korean, talking a man off a ledge, and wooing a punk rocker (Zooey Deschanel) he would never have met without his new ”philosophy.” This is basically a nerd-loosening-his-tie romantic comedy done in the manic-compulsive mode of Liar Liar. It has more chuckles than guffaws, though, maybe because Carrey has always been a comic actor who says yes yes yes. Literalizing that impulse only robs it of surprise. B?
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Terence Stamp; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Andrew Mogel, Jarrad Paul, Nicholas Stoller; Release Date Wide: 12/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted December 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles
- 'Agents of SHIELD' eyes Skye's arc: 'Birth of a superhero'