Carl (Jim Carrey), a loan officer so morose he needs to have his arm twisted to go for drinks with friends, is ripe for conversion by a self-help guru (Terence Stamp) who orders him to say ”yes” to everything. Soon he’s giving cash to a bum, learning Korean, talking a man off a ledge, and wooing a punk rocker (Zooey Deschanel) he would never have met without his new ”philosophy.” This is basically a nerd-loosening-his-tie romantic comedy done in the manic-compulsive mode of Liar Liar. It has more chuckles than guffaws, though, maybe because Carrey has always been a comic actor who says yes yes yes. Literalizing that impulse only robs it of surprise. B?
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Terence Stamp; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Andrew Mogel, Jarrad Paul, Nicholas Stoller; Release Date Wide: 12/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted December 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- Steve Carell joins Woody Allen's next movie, replacing Bruce Willis
- 'Complications' canceled at USA
- 'No Escape' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Darren Criss & Aaron Tveit duet 'Take Me or Leave Me' from 'Rent'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!