As the late 18th century’s Duchess of Devonshire — a fashionable, well-liked ancestor of Princess Diana — Keira Knightley brings passion and grace to this otherwise flawed period piece. While her costumes are beautifully crafted, The Duchess fails to illustrate just why she was so beloved. The EXTRAS shed some light, but are dreadfully dry. If only the filmmakers had taken as much time to mold Knightley’s character as they did her Bride of Frankenstein hair. C
Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Keira Knightley; Starring: Dominic Cooper, Hayley Atwell; Director: Saul Dibb; Author: Saul Dibb, Jeffrey Hatcher, Anders Thomas Jensen; Release Date Limited: 09/19/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Paramount Vantage
Posted December 23 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Robin Williams' widow pens essay about his brain disorder
- Former 'Power Rangers' star denies killing his roommate with a sword
- Watch Britney Spears sing Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off' on helium
- 'Once Upon a Time': Is there hope for Belle and Rumple?
- Colin Trevorrow: 'Jurassic World 2' will be 'suspenseful and scary'
- NBC scraps 'Mail Order Family' comedy after backlash
- 'Stranger Things' is even stranger in 8-bit animated remake