As the late 18th century’s Duchess of Devonshire — a fashionable, well-liked ancestor of Princess Diana — Keira Knightley brings passion and grace to this otherwise flawed period piece. While her costumes are beautifully crafted, The Duchess fails to illustrate just why she was so beloved. The EXTRAS shed some light, but are dreadfully dry. If only the filmmakers had taken as much time to mold Knightley’s character as they did her Bride of Frankenstein hair. C
Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Keira Knightley; Starring: Dominic Cooper, Hayley Atwell; Director: Saul Dibb; Author: Saul Dibb, Jeffrey Hatcher, Anders Thomas Jensen; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Paramount Vantage
Posted December 23 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!