A diva, as defined by Beyonce, “is a female version of a hustler.” And though there’s no denying B’s claim in her new single, “Diva,” that she’s “been the No. 1 diva in this game for a minute,” you certainly can’t knock Rihanna’s hustle in 2008. After scoring four hit singles with 2007’s Good Girl Gone Bad, her third CD in less than two years, she re-issued the disc last summer with three sizzling bonus tracks (“Disturbia,” “Take a Bow,” “If I Never See Your Face Again”) that quickly soared up the charts as well. Now, after honing her live act on the road with Kanye West’s Glow in the Dark extravaganza, and more than a year after Good Girl’s original release date, Rihanna remains on the charts with her eighth single, “Rehab,” featuring Justin Timberlake, plus a cameo on T.I.’s “Live Your Life.” For a pop star who was once dismissed as being incapable of yielding more than one hit song per album, Rihanna’s newfound staying power is nothing short of remarkable–and proof that there’s room for more than one diva in this game.
Posted December 29 2008 — 8:00 PM EST
- Janet Jackson shares powerful new single, 'Unbreakable'
- ESPN extends Curt Schilling's suspension through MLB season
- Benicio Del Toro hints again at 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' involvement
- 'Key & Peele' prove Neil deGrasse Tyson can use his brain to get out of anything
- 'Arrow' first look: Check out Diggle's new super suit
- 'House of Cards' actor joins 'Luke Cage' as Cottonmouth
- Anne Hathaway says she's already losing roles to younger actresses
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!