A diva, as defined by Beyonce, “is a female version of a hustler.” And though there’s no denying B’s claim in her new single, “Diva,” that she’s “been the No. 1 diva in this game for a minute,” you certainly can’t knock Rihanna’s hustle in 2008. After scoring four hit singles with 2007’s Good Girl Gone Bad, her third CD in less than two years, she re-issued the disc last summer with three sizzling bonus tracks (“Disturbia,” “Take a Bow,” “If I Never See Your Face Again”) that quickly soared up the charts as well. Now, after honing her live act on the road with Kanye West’s Glow in the Dark extravaganza, and more than a year after Good Girl’s original release date, Rihanna remains on the charts with her eighth single, “Rehab,” featuring Justin Timberlake, plus a cameo on T.I.’s “Live Your Life.” For a pop star who was once dismissed as being incapable of yielding more than one hit song per album, Rihanna’s newfound staying power is nothing short of remarkable–and proof that there’s room for more than one diva in this game.
Posted December 29 2008 — 8:00 PM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!