Back when she was in graduate school at Berkeley, Robin Romm was abruptly called home to her mother’s deathbed in New York. Though her mom had been sick with breast cancer for nine years, Robin was still devastated. The Mercy Papers, the vitriol-laced journal she kept during the three weeks before her mother died, captures all the fear and sadness you might expect from a heartbroken 28-year-old — but it’s her gusting, boiling anger that rattles the page. ”I know it’s selfish,” she tells her mom at one point. ”But I can’t tell you it’s okay to die. I won’t be okay.” There are countless memoirs about death and overcoming grief, but Romm’s sheer firepower sets hers apart, capturing all the raw messiness behind her agony. A
The Mercy PapersBack when she was in graduate school at Berkeley, Robin Romm was abruptly called home to her mother's deathbed in New York. Though her mom had been sick...The Mercy PapersMemoir, NonfictionRobin RommBack when she was in graduate school at Berkeley, Robin Romm was abruptly called home to her mother's deathbed in New York. Though her mom had been sick...2008-12-31Scribner
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: Robin Romm; Publisher: Scribner
Posted December 31 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the funny, scary opening credits for 'Scream Queens'
- What Derek Hough thinks of new 'DWTS' partner Bindi Irwin
- See the most popular passages from every single 'Outlander' book
- Yo La Tengo on making a sequel to their revered album 'Fakebook'
- Netflix's 'Lady Dynamite' adds Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman to guest cast
- See exclusive new art from 'The Angry Birds Movie'
- Heavy metal meets demonic mayhem in 'Deathgasm' trailer
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!