Back when she was in graduate school at Berkeley, Robin Romm was abruptly called home to her mother’s deathbed in New York. Though her mom had been sick with breast cancer for nine years, Robin was still devastated. The Mercy Papers, the vitriol-laced journal she kept during the three weeks before her mother died, captures all the fear and sadness you might expect from a heartbroken 28-year-old — but it’s her gusting, boiling anger that rattles the page. ”I know it’s selfish,” she tells her mom at one point. ”But I can’t tell you it’s okay to die. I won’t be okay.” There are countless memoirs about death and overcoming grief, but Romm’s sheer firepower sets hers apart, capturing all the raw messiness behind her agony. A
The Mercy PapersBack when she was in graduate school at Berkeley, Robin Romm was abruptly called home to her mother's deathbed in New York. Though her mom had been sick...The Mercy PapersMemoir, NonfictionRobin RommBack when she was in graduate school at Berkeley, Robin Romm was abruptly called home to her mother's deathbed in New York. Though her mom had been sick...2008-12-31Scribner
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: Robin Romm; Publisher: Scribner
Posted December 31 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!