Ron Asheton, the guitarist for the influential punk rock band The Stooges, was found dead this morning, police tell the Detroit Free Press. The 60-year-old’s deceased body was found in his home after a caller phoned police saying they hadn’t heard from him in a few days. Authorities are investigating the cause of death, but foul play is not suspected. The Stooges were founded in 1967 in Ann Arbor, Mich. by Iggy Pop, Asheton, and his brother, Scott Asheton. Though never a major commerical success, the band has been cited by artists like Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth and Jack White of the White Stripes as a major influence. The Stooges are nominated for induction in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with inductees set to be announced later this month. They reunited for a series of shows in 2003, and released a new record, The Weirdness, in 2007.
Posted January 6 2009 — 4:11 PM EST
- Alec Baldwin calls out brother Stephen during 'SNL' debate cold open
- Benedict Cumberbatch to host final 'SNL' before election
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg set to perform in an opera
- 'Ghostbusters' director gets 'choked up' by supportive fans
- Miley Cyrus storms Virginia college to campaign for Hillary Clinton
- Lauryn Hill gives powerful performance of 'Rebel' on 'Charlie Rose'
- 'Jessica Jones' season 2: Showrunner promises all-female directors