Ed Harris directed Appaloosa, a Western which gives fresh meaning to the word laconic. He also stars as a marshal-for-hire who takes a job in a small town overrun by thugs, led by Jeremy Irons. Harris’ ol’ pardner is Viggo Mortensen; they communicate with grunts and half phrases, understanding each other perfectly. It’s a gal who threatens to ruin the friendship: ?Renée Zellweger, a ladylike hussy who seduces Harris with her cultured ways but also smooches Mortensen on the ? sly. The plot ambles predictably, with nice moments of gunplay. Extras include a commentary by Harris and ? screenwriter Robert Knott that’s just like the dialogue: ?lots of we-shot-this, then-we-shot-that mumbles, finishing each other’s sentences, and not revealing much. B
Genre: Western, Drama; Starring: Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen, Renee Zellweger, Jeremy Irons; Director: Ed Harris; Author: Ed Harris, Robert Knott; Release Date Limited: 09/19/2008; Release Date Wide: 10/03/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted January 7 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chris Rock announces first stand-up tour in 9 years
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' trailer: Humans and Transformers face off
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday