If you’ve ponied up 10 bucks to see The Brothers or The Best Man, you’ll know what you’re in for with Not Easily Broken, a churchy dramedy about a young African-American couple coping with a strained marriage. Morris Chestnut, a vet of both of those earlier films, aces the role of the put-upon husband. ?And Taraji P. Henson (Benjamin Button) adds a dash of ? vinegar as the materialistic wife with a shrewish live-in mother. Laughter through tears is ? director Bill Duke’s M.O., and he hits the bull’s-eye of that modest target. ?B
Genre: Drama; Starring: Morris Chestnut, Taraji P. Henson, Wood Harris, Kevin Hart, Maeve Quinlan; Director: Bill Duke; Author: Brian Bird, T.D. Jakes; Release Date Wide: 01/09/2009; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Posted January 14 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ava DuVernay nixes 'Black Panther' gig: 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- Gal Godot: 'It’s impossible not to be a little nervous' about playing Wonder Woman
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!