How do we know that ?the images of filmmaker Carlos Reygadas — a slowly awakening dawn, a married farmer kissing the woman he loves — are reverently artful? ? Because Reygadas holds them for what feels ?like eternity. He creates ? a meditation that drifts into torpor. Set in a ?Mennonite community in Mexico, Silent Light, a glacial tale of adultery, features a “miraculous” climax — ?it mingles the living and the dead — ripped off from Carl Dreyer’s Ordet (1955), one of the great religious films. The stab at sublimity-by-proxy doesn’t take. C
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maria Pankratz, Cornelio Wall, Miriam Toews, Peter Wall; Director: Carlos Reygadas; Author: Carlos Reygadas; Release Date Limited: 01/07/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Palisades Pictures
Posted January 14 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- How the new Oscar producers plan to change the show (and make it shorter)
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!