Frost/Nixon star and regular Underworld franchise player Michael Sheen is an enslaved wolf-man who rebels against vampire master Bill Nighy in this medieval-set prequel. Yes, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans is basically Were-Spartacus, though that makes the humorless, scare-free result sound much more fun than it is. Sheen and Nighy do their best with the material, but this is easily the worst Underworld so far. Indeed, the whole blue-hued shebang comes across like some sadistic test for those people, such as your writer, who previously believed they would happily sit through anything that featured either one of these fine actors. C+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Michael Sheen, Rhona Mitra, Bill Nighy; Director: Patrick Tatopoulos; Author: Dirk Blackman, Danny McBride, Howard McCain; Release Date Wide: 01/23/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Quantico' postmortem: Who's gone from the Academy?
- 'Walking Dead' prologue scene sets up Negan, second half of season 6
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday