Frost/Nixon star and regular Underworld franchise player Michael Sheen is an enslaved wolf-man who rebels against vampire master Bill Nighy in this medieval-set prequel. Yes, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans is basically Were-Spartacus, though that makes the humorless, scare-free result sound much more fun than it is. Sheen and Nighy do their best with the material, but this is easily the worst Underworld so far. Indeed, the whole blue-hued shebang comes across like some sadistic test for those people, such as your writer, who previously believed they would happily sit through anything that featured either one of these fine actors. C+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Michael Sheen, Rhona Mitra, Bill Nighy; Director: Patrick Tatopoulos; Author: Dirk Blackman, Danny McBride, Howard McCain; Release Date Wide: 01/23/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels