Frost/Nixon star and regular Underworld franchise player Michael Sheen is an enslaved wolf-man who rebels against vampire master Bill Nighy in this medieval-set prequel. Yes, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans is basically Were-Spartacus, though that makes the humorless, scare-free result sound much more fun than it is. Sheen and Nighy do their best with the material, but this is easily the worst Underworld so far. Indeed, the whole blue-hued shebang comes across like some sadistic test for those people, such as your writer, who previously believed they would happily sit through anything that featured either one of these fine actors. C+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Michael Sheen, Rhona Mitra, Bill Nighy; Director: Patrick Tatopoulos; Author: Dirk Blackman, Danny McBride, Howard McCain; Release Date Wide: 01/23/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner are getting divorced
- Rob Thomas details new solo album 'The Great Unknown'
- See the first extended look at 'Rory McIlroy PGA Tour'
- Rick Moody to write memoir detailing his second marriage
- Kaitlyn on 'Bachelorette' talk with Shawn
- Nick Zano joins 'Minority Report'
- 'Suite Life' stars Dylan and Cole Sprouse swapped places at their NYU graduation
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!