Frost/Nixon star and regular Underworld franchise player Michael Sheen is an enslaved wolf-man who rebels against vampire master Bill Nighy in this medieval-set prequel. Yes, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans is basically Were-Spartacus, though that makes the humorless, scare-free result sound much more fun than it is. Sheen and Nighy do their best with the material, but this is easily the worst Underworld so far. Indeed, the whole blue-hued shebang comes across like some sadistic test for those people, such as your writer, who previously believed they would happily sit through anything that featured either one of these fine actors. C+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Michael Sheen, Rhona Mitra, Bill Nighy; Director: Patrick Tatopoulos; Author: Dirk Blackman, Danny McBride, Howard McCain; Release Date Wide: 01/23/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan had a 'Buffy' reunion
- Chris Pratt on being a sex symbol: 'Before, I was the sweaty guy who didn't give a s---'
- Munich Film Festival to honor Alexander Payne with retrospective
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!