Frost/Nixon star and regular Underworld franchise player Michael Sheen is an enslaved wolf-man who rebels against vampire master Bill Nighy in this medieval-set prequel. Yes, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans is basically Were-Spartacus, though that makes the humorless, scare-free result sound much more fun than it is. Sheen and Nighy do their best with the material, but this is easily the worst Underworld so far. Indeed, the whole blue-hued shebang comes across like some sadistic test for those people, such as your writer, who previously believed they would happily sit through anything that featured either one of these fine actors. C+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Michael Sheen, Rhona Mitra, Bill Nighy; Director: Patrick Tatopoulos; Author: Dirk Blackman, Danny McBride, Howard McCain; Release Date Wide: 01/23/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt