The title story in Delicate Edible Birds boasts all the intrigue and tenderness of Lauren Groff’s hit debut novel, The Monsters of Templeton, as it follows a promiscuous WWII-era reporter captured by a Nazi sympathizer. Unfortunately, not every story delivers. All but three read like stiff 40-page biographies (see: “Majorette,” an uninspiring story about an underestimated pretty girl). Then again, it’s easy to? forgive Groff, thanks to her ability to describe nearly anything with elegance. Take this line from her best-friend-from-hell story ”Blythe”: ”I felt resentful at the scent wafting from her, cigarette smoke and perfume like some overblown peony about to shiver apart.” And we’ve got the chills too. B
Delicate Edible BirdsThe title story in Delicate Edible Birds boasts all the intrigue and tenderness of Lauren Groff's hit debut novel, The Monsters of...Delicate Edible BirdsShort Stories, FictionLauren GroffThe title story in Delicate Edible Birds boasts all the intrigue and tenderness of Lauren Groff's hit debut novel, The Monsters of...2009-01-28Hyperion
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Lauren Groff; Publisher: Hyperion
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!