Director Robert Falls’ innovative staging of Desire Under the Elms, a 1924 drama about a family of squabbling farmers, isn’t your typical Eugene O’Neill. There’s bathtub nudity, sex on a kitchen table, and a looming, airborne house set more befitting the witches of Wicked. As the frosty patriarch, Brian Dennehy does his usual O’Neill shtick — think Willy Loman with a plow — and Pablo Schreiber is solid as the son who covets his father’s bride. But it’s Gugino, speaking in a honeyed Southern drawl as a tortured trophy wife, who provides this show’s beating heart. (312-443-3800) A?
Starring: Brian Dennehy; Starring: Carla Gugino; Director: Robert Falls; Author: Eugene O'Neill; Opening Date: 01/17/2009
Posted February 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Moby explains why he ‘doesn’t ever want to tour again'
- Pussy Riot slam Trump in brutal new song, 'Make America Great Again'
- Donald Trump slams Hillary Clinton for attending Adele concert
- Miley Cyrus comments on engagement ring
- Seth Meyers mocks Donald Trump's Obamacare response
- Justin Timberlake on his voting booth selfie: 'I had no idea!'
- Elijah Wood turned down the chance to fight Daniel Radcliffe
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers