Die-hard Star Wars devotees, circa 1998, embark on a cross-country mission to break into Skywalker Ranch for a guerrilla preview screening of The Phantom Menace in Fanboys. Real-life fanboys know that the release of this mildly cute, mildly drooly, majorly too late spoof/homage has been delayed for more than two years. And during that time, an Internet-driven argument has raged about whether the final cut would retain a not-at-all-secret subplot involving the terminal illness of one of the Skywalker intruders. This critic says, ”Ick, it’s a gummy sentimental intrusion.” But the tribe spoke, saying, ”Keep it! That’s why the break-in is a gallant act!” We’re both right. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Dan Fogler, Jay Baruchel, Chris Marquette, Sam Huntington; Director: Kyle Newman; Author: Ernest Cline, Adam F. Goldberg; Release Date Wide: 02/06/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted February 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt