Die-hard Star Wars devotees, circa 1998, embark on a cross-country mission to break into Skywalker Ranch for a guerrilla preview screening of The Phantom Menace in Fanboys. Real-life fanboys know that the release of this mildly cute, mildly drooly, majorly too late spoof/homage has been delayed for more than two years. And during that time, an Internet-driven argument has raged about whether the final cut would retain a not-at-all-secret subplot involving the terminal illness of one of the Skywalker intruders. This critic says, ”Ick, it’s a gummy sentimental intrusion.” But the tribe spoke, saying, ”Keep it! That’s why the break-in is a gallant act!” We’re both right. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Dan Fogler, Jay Baruchel, Chris Marquette, Sam Huntington; Director: Kyle Newman; Author: Ernest Cline, Adam F. Goldberg; Release Date Wide: 02/06/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted February 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- New 'American Horror Story' season 6 teasers will make your skin crawl
- DNC: Chelsea Clinton references 'A Wrinkle in Time,' 'Police Academy'
- Hillary Clinton quotes 'Hamilton,' slams Trump in rousing DNC speech
- Twitter reacts to Morgan Freeman-narrated Hillary Clinton doc
- 'The Voice': Bette Midler serving as mentor for Team Blake
- Shonda Rhimes on Hillary Clinton DNC film: 'I didn't have to add a plot twist!'
- Katy Perry performs 'Rise,' 'Roar' at DNC for Hillary Clinton