Die-hard Star Wars devotees, circa 1998, embark on a cross-country mission to break into Skywalker Ranch for a guerrilla preview screening of The Phantom Menace in Fanboys. Real-life fanboys know that the release of this mildly cute, mildly drooly, majorly too late spoof/homage has been delayed for more than two years. And during that time, an Internet-driven argument has raged about whether the final cut would retain a not-at-all-secret subplot involving the terminal illness of one of the Skywalker intruders. This critic says, ”Ick, it’s a gummy sentimental intrusion.” But the tribe spoke, saying, ”Keep it! That’s why the break-in is a gallant act!” We’re both right. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Dan Fogler, Jay Baruchel, Chris Marquette, Sam Huntington; Director: Kyle Newman; Author: Ernest Cline, Adam F. Goldberg; Release Date Wide: 02/06/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted February 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!