Die-hard Star Wars devotees, circa 1998, embark on a cross-country mission to break into Skywalker Ranch for a guerrilla preview screening of The Phantom Menace in Fanboys. Real-life fanboys know that the release of this mildly cute, mildly drooly, majorly too late spoof/homage has been delayed for more than two years. And during that time, an Internet-driven argument has raged about whether the final cut would retain a not-at-all-secret subplot involving the terminal illness of one of the Skywalker intruders. This critic says, ”Ick, it’s a gummy sentimental intrusion.” But the tribe spoke, saying, ”Keep it! That’s why the break-in is a gallant act!” We’re both right. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Dan Fogler, Jay Baruchel, Chris Marquette, Sam Huntington; Director: Kyle Newman; Author: Ernest Cline, Adam F. Goldberg; Release Date Wide: 02/06/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted February 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meet the new Transporter: Ed Skrein has refueled the action franchise
- 6 times Cate Blanchett transformed to play real people on the big screen
- Black Sabbath announce farewell tour
- 'Spectre' poster: James Bond is dressed to kill
- 'Empire' releases two new songs including collaboration with Pitbull & Ne-Yo
- ‘The Goldbergs’ plans Milli Vanilli, Christian Slater episode
- Reese Witherspoon teases secret Disney project
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!