Die-hard Star Wars devotees, circa 1998, embark on a cross-country mission to break into Skywalker Ranch for a guerrilla preview screening of The Phantom Menace in Fanboys. Real-life fanboys know that the release of this mildly cute, mildly drooly, majorly too late spoof/homage has been delayed for more than two years. And during that time, an Internet-driven argument has raged about whether the final cut would retain a not-at-all-secret subplot involving the terminal illness of one of the Skywalker intruders. This critic says, ”Ick, it’s a gummy sentimental intrusion.” But the tribe spoke, saying, ”Keep it! That’s why the break-in is a gallant act!” We’re both right. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Dan Fogler, Jay Baruchel, Chris Marquette, Sam Huntington; Director: Kyle Newman; Author: Ernest Cline, Adam F. Goldberg; Release Date Wide: 02/06/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!