Die-hard Star Wars devotees, circa 1998, embark on a cross-country mission to break into Skywalker Ranch for a guerrilla preview screening of The Phantom Menace in Fanboys. Real-life fanboys know that the release of this mildly cute, mildly drooly, majorly too late spoof/homage has been delayed for more than two years. And during that time, an Internet-driven argument has raged about whether the final cut would retain a not-at-all-secret subplot involving the terminal illness of one of the Skywalker intruders. This critic says, ”Ick, it’s a gummy sentimental intrusion.” But the tribe spoke, saying, ”Keep it! That’s why the break-in is a gallant act!” We’re both right. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Dan Fogler, Jay Baruchel, Chris Marquette, Sam Huntington; Director: Kyle Newman; Author: Ernest Cline, Adam F. Goldberg; Release Date Wide: 02/06/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted February 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- What to Watch Thursday: 'Archer' goes to the movies
- Jon Stewart leaves the farm to accept Peabody Award: Watch his speech
- 'Westworld' finally gets HBO premiere date
- Brett Gelman is having a race conversation in 'Dinner in America'
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' spoofs 'Catfish' with help from Jake Gyllenhaal
- Mel Gibson claims he could have played Thor’s father
- Jamie Lynn Spears returning to TV for first show since 'Zoey 101'