Taking Inspector Clouseau into his fifth decade of bumbling, Steve Martin does respectable riffs on Peter Sellers’ demented obliviousness. He artfully gibberizes words like hamburger, sniggers at his own deductive élan, and does slapstick battle with everything from wine bottles to the Pope’s miter. Martin, though, is so respectful of the role that he doesn’t really make it his own; he does warmed-over Sellers instead of blissed-out Martin. When a series of world artifacts disappears, Clouseau is placed in charge of a dream team of detectives (Andy Garcia, Alfred Molina, etc.), which gives him too many straight men. The Pink Panther 2 provides genial chuckles, but it’s never excitingly rude. B-
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Comedy; Starring: Steve Martin, Jean Reno, Andy Garcia, Alfred Molina, Emily Mortimer; Director: Harald Zwart; Author: Steve Martin, Scott Neustadter; Release Date Wide: 02/06/2009
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Jason Clarke, Rosamund Pike to star in WWII drama
- Everything we know about 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Key & Peele imagine a world without racism in new sketch
- Hot Chocolate singer Errol Brown dies at age 71
- See 'It Follows' star Maika Monroe in 'Echoes of War'
- 'Game of Thrones': Which actor is also the best singer?
- Adele dressed up like George Michael on her birthday
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!