Ice hockey’s angriest goalkeeper Jason Voorhees returns in this new version of the slasher classic from director Marcus Nispel and producer Michael Bay, the pair responsible for 2003’s remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Friday the 13th shares a grungy, competent vibe with that previous effort as Derek Mears’ Jason sets about dispatching the large number of folks who make the mistake of smoking marijuana or flashing their mammaries in the vicinity of Camp Crystal Lake. True, the characters often act in unbelievable and downright suicidal ways. ”Where’s he going?” ponders Jared Padelecki upon first espying a corpse-carrying Mr. Voorhees. (Really, that’s the question? Not: ”How the blue blazes do we get out of here?”). However, this film is (be)head and shoulders above the recently reanimated likes of Prom Night and My Bloody Valentine. B
(John P. Johnson)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Jared Padalecki, Danielle Panabaker, Amanda Righetti, Aaron Yoo; Director: Marcus Nispel; Author: Damian Shannon, Mark Swift, Mark Wheaton; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!