Ice hockey’s angriest goalkeeper Jason Voorhees returns in this new version of the slasher classic from director Marcus Nispel and producer Michael Bay, the pair responsible for 2003’s remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Friday the 13th shares a grungy, competent vibe with that previous effort as Derek Mears’ Jason sets about dispatching the large number of folks who make the mistake of smoking marijuana or flashing their mammaries in the vicinity of Camp Crystal Lake. True, the characters often act in unbelievable and downright suicidal ways. ”Where’s he going?” ponders Jared Padelecki upon first espying a corpse-carrying Mr. Voorhees. (Really, that’s the question? Not: ”How the blue blazes do we get out of here?”). However, this film is (be)head and shoulders above the recently reanimated likes of Prom Night and My Bloody Valentine. B
(John P. Johnson)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Jared Padalecki, Danielle Panabaker, Amanda Righetti, Aaron Yoo; Director: Marcus Nispel; Author: Damian Shannon, Mark Swift, Mark Wheaton; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R
Posted February 11 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!