Arriving at a time when the banking industry already has a lot of splainin’ to do, there’s something almost endearingly out of sync about the sleek but now dated Euro-thriller The International. Clive Owen plays a rogue Interpol agent who (with the low-energy help of Naomi Watts as a Manhattan assistant district attorney) pursues justice against a globally powerful bank that finances terror around the world. As a result, Owen’s grim cop with burning eyes (another hollow fellow from the Children of Men school of despair) zips around the world too — the production budget must’ve been rich — on the trail of men who behave badly in impersonal offices of painfully minimalist design. Bra i]an F. O’Byrne and Armin Mueller-Stahl are dependably good as shady players. But the star of the pic may well be NYC’s Guggenheim Museum and Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar, both of which figure in cool action chase sequences that pay handsome dividends. B?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Clive Owen, Naomi Watts, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Brian F. O'Byrne; Director: Tom Tykwer; Author: Eric Singer; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted February 11 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Donald Glover comments on 'Star Wars' role for first time
- 'Pretty Little Liars' tell-all special to follow series finale
- Paralympian wins Halloween with 'Beauty and the Beast' Lumiere costume
- Taylor Swift, Abba, 'Star Wars' music get bizarre recorder remixes
- 'Westworld': Who is secretly a robot?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' stars react to final day of filming
- Michael Massee, Actor Who Played '24' Villain Ira Gaines, Dies at 61
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers