Arriving at a time when the banking industry already has a lot of splainin’ to do, there’s something almost endearingly out of sync about the sleek but now dated Euro-thriller The International. Clive Owen plays a rogue Interpol agent who (with the low-energy help of Naomi Watts as a Manhattan assistant district attorney) pursues justice against a globally powerful bank that finances terror around the world. As a result, Owen’s grim cop with burning eyes (another hollow fellow from the Children of Men school of despair) zips around the world too — the production budget must’ve been rich — on the trail of men who behave badly in impersonal offices of painfully minimalist design. Bra i]an F. O’Byrne and Armin Mueller-Stahl are dependably good as shady players. But the star of the pic may well be NYC’s Guggenheim Museum and Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar, both of which figure in cool action chase sequences that pay handsome dividends. B?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Clive Owen, Naomi Watts, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Brian F. O'Byrne; Director: Tom Tykwer; Author: Eric Singer; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted February 11 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...