Arriving at a time when the banking industry already has a lot of splainin’ to do, there’s something almost endearingly out of sync about the sleek but now dated Euro-thriller The International. Clive Owen plays a rogue Interpol agent who (with the low-energy help of Naomi Watts as a Manhattan assistant district attorney) pursues justice against a globally powerful bank that finances terror around the world. As a result, Owen’s grim cop with burning eyes (another hollow fellow from the Children of Men school of despair) zips around the world too — the production budget must’ve been rich — on the trail of men who behave badly in impersonal offices of painfully minimalist design. Bra i]an F. O’Byrne and Armin Mueller-Stahl are dependably good as shady players. But the star of the pic may well be NYC’s Guggenheim Museum and Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar, both of which figure in cool action chase sequences that pay handsome dividends. B?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Clive Owen, Naomi Watts, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Brian F. O'Byrne; Director: Tom Tykwer; Author: Eric Singer; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!