Arriving at a time when the banking industry already has a lot of splainin’ to do, there’s something almost endearingly out of sync about the sleek but now dated Euro-thriller The International. Clive Owen plays a rogue Interpol agent who (with the low-energy help of Naomi Watts as a Manhattan assistant district attorney) pursues justice against a globally powerful bank that finances terror around the world. As a result, Owen’s grim cop with burning eyes (another hollow fellow from the Children of Men school of despair) zips around the world too — the production budget must’ve been rich — on the trail of men who behave badly in impersonal offices of painfully minimalist design. Bra i]an F. O’Byrne and Armin Mueller-Stahl are dependably good as shady players. But the star of the pic may well be NYC’s Guggenheim Museum and Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar, both of which figure in cool action chase sequences that pay handsome dividends. B?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Clive Owen, Naomi Watts, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Brian F. O'Byrne; Director: Tom Tykwer; Author: Eric Singer; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted February 11 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Luke Perry reacts to Lifetime’s 'Unauthorized Beverly Hills, 90210' project
- Maria Menounos named co-anchor at 'E! News'
- 'The Fighter' actor Sean Malone dies following drowning incident
- Alyssa Milano and 'Hacktivist' writers dish on comics and technology
- Lupita Nyong'o to star in New York play written by 'Walking Dead' star
- Bikini Kill will release three new songs
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' creators on ... another sequel?
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!