Arriving at a time when the banking industry already has a lot of splainin’ to do, there’s something almost endearingly out of sync about the sleek but now dated Euro-thriller The International. Clive Owen plays a rogue Interpol agent who (with the low-energy help of Naomi Watts as a Manhattan assistant district attorney) pursues justice against a globally powerful bank that finances terror around the world. As a result, Owen’s grim cop with burning eyes (another hollow fellow from the Children of Men school of despair) zips around the world too — the production budget must’ve been rich — on the trail of men who behave badly in impersonal offices of painfully minimalist design. Bra i]an F. O’Byrne and Armin Mueller-Stahl are dependably good as shady players. But the star of the pic may well be NYC’s Guggenheim Museum and Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar, both of which figure in cool action chase sequences that pay handsome dividends. B?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Clive Owen, Naomi Watts, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Brian F. O'Byrne; Director: Tom Tykwer; Author: Eric Singer; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted February 11 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!