Director Howard Hall spent over 100 days lugging a 1,300-pound IMAX 3-D camera around the South Seas to film this underwater doc, which offers up dazzling ocean creatures in calmly shifting scenes that could double as the world’s most expensive screensaver. Even Jim Carrey’s narration is free of his usual antics; ?he mostly sounds like a science teacher reading a copy of National Geographic Kids to a ? class of grade-schoolers. But it’s impossible not to be wowed by some of the images in Under the Sea 3D, ?the coolest of which — shimmering cuttlefish and ghostly, spaceship-like jellyfish — are a nice ?reminder that, even in the age of CG wizardry, the best special effects still come straight from Mother Nature. B
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Jim Carrey; Director: Howard Hall; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 40; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted February 18 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel