Director Howard Hall spent over 100 days lugging a 1,300-pound IMAX 3-D camera around the South Seas to film this underwater doc, which offers up dazzling ocean creatures in calmly shifting scenes that could double as the world’s most expensive screensaver. Even Jim Carrey’s narration is free of his usual antics; ?he mostly sounds like a science teacher reading a copy of National Geographic Kids to a ? class of grade-schoolers. But it’s impossible not to be wowed by some of the images in Under the Sea 3D, ?the coolest of which — shimmering cuttlefish and ghostly, spaceship-like jellyfish — are a nice ?reminder that, even in the age of CG wizardry, the best special effects still come straight from Mother Nature. B
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Jim Carrey; Director: Howard Hall; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 40; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted February 18 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- 'DWTS' is bringing back Maksim Chmerkovskiy: source
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...