Director Howard Hall spent over 100 days lugging a 1,300-pound IMAX 3-D camera around the South Seas to film this underwater doc, which offers up dazzling ocean creatures in calmly shifting scenes that could double as the world’s most expensive screensaver. Even Jim Carrey’s narration is free of his usual antics; ?he mostly sounds like a science teacher reading a copy of National Geographic Kids to a ? class of grade-schoolers. But it’s impossible not to be wowed by some of the images in Under the Sea 3D, ?the coolest of which — shimmering cuttlefish and ghostly, spaceship-like jellyfish — are a nice ?reminder that, even in the age of CG wizardry, the best special effects still come straight from Mother Nature. B
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Jim Carrey; Director: Howard Hall; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 40; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted February 18 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- Gal Godot: 'It’s impossible not to be a little nervous' about playing Wonder Woman
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!