Hollywood loves looking in the mirror, even when it’s embarrassed by what’s staring back (which, frankly, isn’t often enough). What Just Happened, Barry Levinson’s riff on producer Art Linson’s 2002 movie-biz memoir, has more clichés than a season of Entourage: weaselly agents, spoiled stars, and sleazy foreign financiers with statutory arm candy. De Niro, taking a break from broad comedy (thank God!), shines as a frazzled producer with two exes and a pair of celluloid nightmares — a pretentious Sean Penn flick whose ”edgy” ending features a dog getting shot, and a big-budget headache starring Bruce Willis, who refuses to shave his bushy, Talmudic beard. The message is: Everyone in Hollywood lies…mostly to themselves. The point is proven all too well on the EXTRAS commentary when Levinson and Linson crack up at their own wheezy gags. B?
Genre: Comedy, Drama; Starring: Robert De Niro, Stanley Tucci; Director: Barry Levinson; Author: Art Linson; Release Date Limited: 10/17/2008; Release Date Wide: 10/31/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted February 18 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'