As long as Madea, the primly old-fashioned yet fearlessly badass matriarch, is shooting off her machine-gun mouth, Tyler Perry’s latest soul operetta lives up to the mischief promised by its title. But that isn’t nearly enough of the time. Most of Madea Goes to Jail is devoted to the weary, mirthless saga of an attorney (Derek Luke) out to save a former college chum who is now a prostitute (Keshia Knight Pulliam, all grown up from The Cosby Show) as he swats away the objections of his upscale fiancée (Ion Overman). It’s a tale soggy with the kind of race/class lessons that Madea, the director-star’s battle-ax alter ego, doles out far more handily (and entertainingly) in a single church-lady-from-hell zinger. C
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Keke Palmer, Tyler Perry, Keisha Knight-Pulliam, Derek Luke; Director: Tyler Perry; Author: Tyler Perry; Release Date Wide: 02/20/2009; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted February 20 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!