As long as Madea, the primly old-fashioned yet fearlessly badass matriarch, is shooting off her machine-gun mouth, Tyler Perry’s latest soul operetta lives up to the mischief promised by its title. But that isn’t nearly enough of the time. Most of Madea Goes to Jail is devoted to the weary, mirthless saga of an attorney (Derek Luke) out to save a former college chum who is now a prostitute (Keshia Knight Pulliam, all grown up from The Cosby Show) as he swats away the objections of his upscale fiancée (Ion Overman). It’s a tale soggy with the kind of race/class lessons that Madea, the director-star’s battle-ax alter ego, doles out far more handily (and entertainingly) in a single church-lady-from-hell zinger. C
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Keke Palmer, Tyler Perry, Keisha Knight-Pulliam, Derek Luke; Director: Tyler Perry; Author: Tyler Perry; Release Date Wide: 02/20/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted February 20 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony
- 'Silence' reviews: Martin Scorsese's grand epic becomes dull roar
- 'GOTG 2' director James Gunn says Baby Groot isn't a marketing ploy
- Tim Miller on his 'Deadpool 2' exit: 'Don't believe what you read'