Jim Carrey and Jake Gyllenhaal are attached to star in New Line’s contemporized film adaptation of the classic musical Damn Yankees, Variety reports. Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the duo behind New Line’s musical Hairspray, are producing. The story is about Joe Boyd, a happily married middle-aged man makes a deal with the devil to help the hapless pro baseball team he loves. He trades away his soul and is transformed into slugger Joe Hardy, and although he can break the deal, the deadline occurs during the World Series. Meanwhile, the devil enlists a gorgeous lost soul to seduce the slugger and seal his fate. Gyllenhaal is set to play Boyd while Carrey is on tap to portray the devil. The original 1955 Broadway musical won seven Tony Awards.
Posted February 27 2009 — 11:59 AM EST
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg set to perform in an opera
- 'Ghostbusters' director gets 'choked up' by supportive fans
- Miley Cyrus storms Virginia college to campaign for Hillary Clinton
- Lauryn Hill gives powerful performance of 'Rebel' on 'Charlie Rose'
- 'Jessica Jones' season 2: Showrunner promises all-female directors
- Cecilia Hart, wife of James Earl Jones, dies at 68
- Tom Cruise, Jude Law compare on-set underwater breath-holding stories