Recent Oscar winner Sean Penn is urging California to officially recognize Harvey Milk’s birthday, the AP reports. On Tuesday, Penn will appear alongside State Senator Mark Leno to reintroduce a bill that would make the late gay-rights activist’s birthday, May 22, a “day of significance.” Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the proposed bill last year on the grounds that Milk’s birthday should be celebrated only in San Francisco and not all of California. Penn won the Best Actor Oscar at this year’s Academy Awards for portraying Harvey Milk in the biopic Milk.
Posted March 2 2009 — 11:19 PM EST
- Raven-Symoné to star in 'That’s So Raven' spin-off at Disney Channel
- 'Timeless' casts criminal couple in Bonnie and Clyde episode
- EW Must List: 'The Walking Dead', Empire of the Sun's 'Two Vines'
- Oprah Winfrey unveils her first cookbook cover
- David Crosby on Kanye West: 'He can neither sing, nor write, nor play'
- Ellen DeGeneres hilariously sends her producer to a haunted house
- J.K. Rowling teases published 'Fantastic Beasts' screenplay