Jonathan Littell’s novel The Kindly Ones is a hugely polarizing best-seller ?in France, where, like ?The Da Vinci Code, it has ?inspired books of its own. The grim World War II plot concerns Maximilien Aue, an ?impassive Nazi carrying out the Final Solution. Littell maneuvers his character Zelig-like past a rogues’ gallery of Nazis, culminating in a trip to Hitler’s bunker. It’s like Dante’s Inferno written by Reich historian William Shirer. Aue warns ?that the slippery slope to genocide is greased by ”calm, collected” ordinary people, but when he’s not insisting ”I am just like you,” he’s lusting after his twin sister, fantasizing about matricide, or performing perverse sexual acts. Such graphic depravity lets us all off the hook. B?
The Kindly OnesJonathan Littell's novel The Kindly Ones is a hugely polarizing best-seller ?in France, where, like ?The Da Vinci Code, it has ...The Kindly OnesHistory, FictionJonathan LittellJonathan Littell's novel The Kindly Ones is a hugely polarizing best-seller ?in France, where, like ?The Da Vinci Code, it has ...2009-03-04HarperCollins
Genre: History, Fiction; Author: Jonathan Littell; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted March 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!