The 1988 Winona Ryder dark comedy Heathers is being developed as a stage musical. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Race to Witch Mountain director Andy Fickman, who got his start in theater, has been developing the production with his Reefer Madness collaborator Kevin Murphy, who’s writing the lyrics and book, and Tony-nominated Legally Blonde composer Larry O’Keefe. Earlier this week, Veronica Mars star Kristen Bell took part in a reading, playing the lead role. Whether or not she would take the role on stage is said to depend on her schedule. The musical is expected to be mounted as a regional production in 2010, then head to Broadway if successful.
Posted January 18 2015 — 5:51 AM EST
- 'Empire' is TV's hottest new hit. So how does it stay on top?
- Jay Z on epic Tidal rlaunch: 'We're in this for the right reasons'
- Marilynne Robinson expanding Gilead trilogy: 'People should be prepared to say 'quartet''
- Our perfect 'The Wiz' cast features Broadway stars and Crazy Eyes
- Rolling Stones to tour U.S., reissue 'Sticky Fingers'
- See Martha Stewart, Ron Burgundy and more show up to Justin Bieber roast
- Justified: Watch Raylan's 10 all-time best showdowns
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!