The 1988 Winona Ryder dark comedy Heathers is being developed as a stage musical. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Race to Witch Mountain director Andy Fickman, who got his start in theater, has been developing the production with his Reefer Madness collaborator Kevin Murphy, who’s writing the lyrics and book, and Tony-nominated Legally Blonde composer Larry O’Keefe. Earlier this week, Veronica Mars star Kristen Bell took part in a reading, playing the lead role. Whether or not she would take the role on stage is said to depend on her schedule. The musical is expected to be mounted as a regional production in 2010, then head to Broadway if successful.
Posted March 12 2009 — 10:05 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!