In The Believers, the setting is post-9/11 New York. And while celebrity lawyer Joel Litvinoff lies in a stroke-induced coma, his wife, three grown kids, and various significant others gather to — well, to be themselves. Each self-involved, status-conscious character in this marvelous, bighearted, gimlet-eyed novel is committed to this, that, or the other worldview, and is rightfully deserving of skewering — and compassion. But then, aren’t we all, in our fumbling search for identity? Zoë Heller, the author of What Was She Thinking?, grants the Litvinoffs the dignity of wearing their political and religious (or antireligious) beliefs like sacred amulets. Or is it fashionable costume jewelry? A
The BelieversIn The Believers, the setting is post-9/11 New York. And while celebrity lawyer Joel Litvinoff lies in a stroke-induced coma, his wife,...The BelieversFictionZoe HellerIn The Believers, the setting is post-9/11 New York. And while celebrity lawyer Joel Litvinoff lies in a stroke-induced coma, his wife,...2009-03-17HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Zoe Heller; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted March 17 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!