For your art-house pleasure and discomfort, here’s one of the most talked-about film-festival triumphs of 2008, a disturbingly avid re-creation of the last six weeks in the life and slow, self-imposed wasting of Irish hunger striker Bobby Sands (Fassbender), who died in a Belfast prison in 1981 in an act of political protest. Christian martyrdom is much on the mind of British artist and Hunger’s filmmaker Steve McQueen as he considers life (and the brutal treatment of prisoners); death (faced in a long, riveting confessional discussion between Sands and his priest); and, I suppose, life everlasting, glimpsed by Sands on his deathbed. A?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Michael Fassbender, Stuart Graham, Helena Bereen, Liam Cunningham; Director: Steve McQueen; Author: Steve McQueen, Enda Walsh; Release Date Limited: 03/20/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted March 18 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!