This Sundance prizewinner is a journalistic saga of immigration directed with a thriller’s physicality by Cary Joji Fukunaga. Casper ?(Flores) has long been a member of the Mara, a cutthroat cult of Mexican youths who wear so many scary tattoos, they’re like the Maori of the barrio. He ends up on the run, joining a group of immigrants who are traveling, literally, atop a train while seeking passage into the U.S. They include Sayra ?(Gaitan), a Honduran teenager who’s the film’s clear-eyed, one-note heroine. Whenever Sin Nombre turns violent, it seizes you with its convulsive skill, but the film’s images ? vastly outstrip its imagination. B?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Karl Braun, Kristian Ferrer, Edgar Flores, Paulina Gaitan; Director: Cary Fukunaga; Author: Cary Fukunaga; Release Date Limited: 03/20/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted March 18 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Pearl Jam play 'Ten' front to back in Philly
- 'The Originals' boss on the difficulties of killing a beloved character
- 'The Originals' boss on [spoiler]'s heartbreaking death, hope for Davina
- 'The Originals' victim 'cried' over that tragic death
- Charli XCX releases sleek, dance-heavy video for single 'Vroom Vroom'
- 'Vampire Diaries' boss breaks down tonight's action sequences
- John Krasinski to star in 'Jack Ryan' Amazon series
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch