This Sundance prizewinner is a journalistic saga of immigration directed with a thriller’s physicality by Cary Joji Fukunaga. Casper ?(Flores) has long been a member of the Mara, a cutthroat cult of Mexican youths who wear so many scary tattoos, they’re like the Maori of the barrio. He ends up on the run, joining a group of immigrants who are traveling, literally, atop a train while seeking passage into the U.S. They include Sayra ?(Gaitan), a Honduran teenager who’s the film’s clear-eyed, one-note heroine. Whenever Sin Nombre turns violent, it seizes you with its convulsive skill, but the film’s images ? vastly outstrip its imagination. B?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Karl Braun, Kristian Ferrer, Edgar Flores, Paulina Gaitan; Director: Cary Fukunaga; Author: Cary Fukunaga; Release Date Limited: 03/20/2009; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted March 18 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- Amy Schumer responds to open letter about Lafayette theater shooting
- Channing Tatum is (still) doing the 'Gambit' movie
- Simon Pegg ranks all the 'Star Wars' films in 60 seconds
- 'Sherlock' producer on how Victorian special changes Holmes and Watson
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!