This Sundance prizewinner is a journalistic saga of immigration directed with a thriller’s physicality by Cary Joji Fukunaga. Casper ?(Flores) has long been a member of the Mara, a cutthroat cult of Mexican youths who wear so many scary tattoos, they’re like the Maori of the barrio. He ends up on the run, joining a group of immigrants who are traveling, literally, atop a train while seeking passage into the U.S. They include Sayra ?(Gaitan), a Honduran teenager who’s the film’s clear-eyed, one-note heroine. Whenever Sin Nombre turns violent, it seizes you with its convulsive skill, but the film’s images ? vastly outstrip its imagination. B?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Karl Braun, Kristian Ferrer, Edgar Flores, Paulina Gaitan; Director: Cary Fukunaga; Author: Cary Fukunaga; Release Date Limited: 03/20/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted March 18 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- Watch the MTV VMAs with EW's drinking game
- Fan theory suggests the Joker was hero of 'The Dark Knight'
- Everything Hannibal wore on 'Hannibal'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!