In the big-screen adaptation of Stephenie Meyer’s teen-vampire sensation, Robert Pattinson is as dreamy as James Dean after a visit to Project Runway’s L’Oréal Paris makeup room. But he’s also a neck biter without bite. There’s no threat of violence or sex beneath his haunted good looks. And that’s a pretty big obstacle for any vampire movie to get around (although apparently not big enough to prevent it from being a huge box office hit). Stewart is memorably moody as Bella, but the story is repetitive and corny where it should be romantic. Twilight is like The Lost Boys, if The Lost Boys were rewritten by a ninth grader who dots her i’s with hearts. The EXTRAS on the two-disc edition include an extensive page-to-screen making-of doc and a smattering of extended and deleted scenes with more flirting and smooching. B?
Genre: Action/Adventure, Romance; Starring: Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner; Director: Catherine Hardwicke; Author: Melissa Rosenberg; Release Date Wide: 11/21/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted March 18 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!