A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato’s Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the ’70s and ’80s. ? A lot of the patrons were suburban schlubs, and the movie does justice to their odd… normality. The least classy person there ?was owner Larry Levenson, a nudnick who ?made the nightly bacchanals feel as friendly — ?and about as sexy — as a bar mitzvah. American Swing drolly evokes this Romper Room of middle-class exhibitionism, with its petri dish of a swimming pool and its icky lasagna-?and-chicken buffet. Plato’s Retreat was a buffet of bodies, and the film catches the moment America could think that was tasty. A?
American Swing A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato's Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the '70s and '80s. ? A lot of the patrons...American SwingDocumentaryKeith ReamerPT80MUnrated A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato's Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the '70s and '80s. ? A lot of the patrons...2009-03-25Magnolia Pictures
Genre: Documentary; Director: Jon Hart, Matthew Kaufman; Author: Keith Reamer; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted March 25 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal': Bellamy Young talks Fitz and Olivia's now-public affair
- Advocacy group criticizes 'The Martian' for changing Asian-American characters
- Julie Plec blogs the season 3 premiere of 'The Originals'
- Luke Evans, Henry Cavill join Nicholas Hoult in 'Sand Castle'
- This new preview of 'Room' will make you want to call your mom
- Julie's Diary: Julie Plec blogs the 'Vampire Diaries' season 7 premiere
- 'Game of Thrones' cast speculates about season 6 (and beyond) at NYCC