A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato’s Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the ’70s and ’80s. ? A lot of the patrons were suburban schlubs, and the movie does justice to their odd… normality. The least classy person there ?was owner Larry Levenson, a nudnick who ?made the nightly bacchanals feel as friendly — ?and about as sexy — as a bar mitzvah. American Swing drolly evokes this Romper Room of middle-class exhibitionism, with its petri dish of a swimming pool and its icky lasagna-?and-chicken buffet. Plato’s Retreat was a buffet of bodies, and the film catches the moment America could think that was tasty. A?
American Swing A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato's Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the '70s and '80s. ? A lot of the patrons...American SwingDocumentaryKeith ReamerPT80MUnrated A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato's Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the '70s and '80s. ? A lot of the patrons...2009-03-25Magnolia Pictures
Genre: Documentary; Director: Jon Hart, Matthew Kaufman; Author: Keith Reamer; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted March 25 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Seth Meyers compares Trump to 'sh--ty kid at high school'
- What to Watch Tuesday: Reggie Watts gets 'Spatial'
- Chris Rock announces first stand-up tour in 9 years
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' trailer: Humans and Transformers face off
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday