A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato’s Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the ’70s and ’80s. ? A lot of the patrons were suburban schlubs, and the movie does justice to their odd… normality. The least classy person there ?was owner Larry Levenson, a nudnick who ?made the nightly bacchanals feel as friendly — ?and about as sexy — as a bar mitzvah. American Swing drolly evokes this Romper Room of middle-class exhibitionism, with its petri dish of a swimming pool and its icky lasagna-?and-chicken buffet. Plato’s Retreat was a buffet of bodies, and the film catches the moment America could think that was tasty. A?
American Swing A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato's Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the '70s and '80s. ? A lot of the patrons...American SwingDocumentaryKeith ReamerPT80MUnrated A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato's Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the '70s and '80s. ? A lot of the patrons...2009-03-25Magnolia Pictures
Genre: Documentary; Director: Jon Hart, Matthew Kaufman; Author: Keith Reamer; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted March 25 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mythbusters to revisit Jaws after fans claim they got it wrong
- New 'Bourne' film recruits Tommy Lee Jones
- Bryan Cranston and Helen Mirren tangle in new photo from 'Trumbo'
- Meet the four real-life Jerry Maguires on 'The Agent' — EXCLUSIVE
- 'Thrones' actor on new show: 'We don't need dragons. We got cocaine!'
- David Spade: 'Fameless' isn't mean-spirited — the contestants are too 'thirsty'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!