A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato’s Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the ’70s and ’80s. ? A lot of the patrons were suburban schlubs, and the movie does justice to their odd… normality. The least classy person there ?was owner Larry Levenson, a nudnick who ?made the nightly bacchanals feel as friendly — ?and about as sexy — as a bar mitzvah. American Swing drolly evokes this Romper Room of middle-class exhibitionism, with its petri dish of a swimming pool and its icky lasagna-?and-chicken buffet. Plato’s Retreat was a buffet of bodies, and the film catches the moment America could think that was tasty. A?
American Swing A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato's Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the '70s and '80s. ? A lot of the patrons...American SwingDocumentaryKeith ReamerPT80MUnrated A shrewdly made documentary about the rise and fall of Plato's Retreat, the infamous Manhattan sex club of the '70s and '80s. ? A lot of the patrons...2009-03-25Magnolia Pictures
Genre: Documentary; Director: Jon Hart, Matthew Kaufman; Author: Keith Reamer; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- References in Sufjan Stevens' 'Carrie & Lowell,' explained
- Kevin James parodies 'Furious 7' as Paul Blart
- 'A Place To Call Home': 7 reasons to watch Australia's sexiest period soap
- Audi commercial features new 'Avengers: Age of Ultron,' 'Ant-Man' footage
- See the cover of James Dashner's 'The Game of Lives'
- Nick Jonas goes to raves, drives psychedelic golf cart in new 'Chains' video
- Killer Croc and the end of the Christopher Nolan era
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!