As we reported yesterday, Madonna is looking to adopt a second child from Malawi. Reuters is now reporting that on Monday, a Malawian court will review the singer’s request to adopt a 14-month-old girl named Mercy James, who comes from the same orphanage as the singer’s adopted son David. “Her name is Mercy James from Mchinji Home of Hope orphanage. She has no father and mother; they both died,” an official at the ministry of Gender and Child Development told Reuters. “We finished the assessment yesterday in readiness for the courts next week.” Because foreign adoptions are not officially allowed in Malawi, news of Madonna’s plans has sparked controversy, with some speculating that the pop star is benefiting from special treatment. But Madonna, 50, was recently quoted in a local Malawian newspaper saying that she would only go through with a second adoption if the Malawian people supported it. She is expected to arrive in Malawai this weekend.
Posted March 27 2009 — 5:33 PM EDT
- George Takei: Nimoy 'the most human person I've ever met'
- Zachary Quinto on Leonard Nimoy: 'a father figure to me'
- Kevin Hart, Will Ferrell in 'Get Hard': Red-band trailer really, REALLY NSFW
- Natalie Dormer stars in Hozier's 'Someone New' video
- Vincent D'Onofrio as 'Daredevil' nemesis Wilson Fisk: First Look
- Pharrell talks 'The Voice,' Lionel Richie as adviser
- 'Spider-Man': Drew Goddard as director?