As we reported yesterday, Madonna is looking to adopt a second child from Malawi. Reuters is now reporting that on Monday, a Malawian court will review the singer’s request to adopt a 14-month-old girl named Mercy James, who comes from the same orphanage as the singer’s adopted son David. “Her name is Mercy James from Mchinji Home of Hope orphanage. She has no father and mother; they both died,” an official at the ministry of Gender and Child Development told Reuters. “We finished the assessment yesterday in readiness for the courts next week.” Because foreign adoptions are not officially allowed in Malawi, news of Madonna’s plans has sparked controversy, with some speculating that the pop star is benefiting from special treatment. But Madonna, 50, was recently quoted in a local Malawian newspaper saying that she would only go through with a second adoption if the Malawian people supported it. She is expected to arrive in Malawai this weekend.
Posted March 27 2009 — 5:33 PM EDT
- 'Scandal' stars are back to work on season 6
- Eva Longoria dings Donald Trump at DNC: 'My father is not a rapist'
- 'Bachelorette': Wells gives 'spirited' episode recap on Snapchat
- Michelle Obama hits back at Donald Trump in powerful DNC speech
- Shannen Doherty shares breast cancer update after shaving head
- Paul Simon performs 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' at DNC
- Sarah Silverman to Bernie Sanders holdouts: 'You're being ridiculous'
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels