Can the endorsement of both the Oscars and Oprah’s Book Club ever be wrong? Absolutely. But not here. Adapted from Bernhard Schlink’s 1997 best-seller, The Reader is a three-hankie haymaker is a prestige picture that delivers. A teenage German boy (fantastic newcomer David Kross) tumbles into a passionate, secret affair with an older woman (Best Actress winner Winslet). He reads The Odyssey to her before rounds of steamy lovemaking. Then she vanishes and breaks his young heart. Years later, he rediscovers her when she is put on trial for war crimes committed as a guard at Auschwitz. Fiennes, at his icy best, helps stick the landing as the grown-up version of Kross’ character in the film’s flashback framing device. ?EXTRAS include a heap of deleted scenes (none of which are missed) and a peek at Winslet’s old-age makeup regimen. A?
(Melinda Sue Gordon)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Kate Winslet, David Kross; Director: Stephen Daldry; Author: David Hare; Release Date Wide: 01/09/2009; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!