Dragonballs look a bit like cueballs, or at least how cueballs might appear to a person on strong hallucinogens. They glow and swirl, and anybody who collects all seven of them inside the Dragon Temple during the ”blood-moon” eclipse will be granted one wish — unless the lizard-skinned Lord Piccolo and his ninja sidekick get there first and unleash the evil beast Oozaru to take revenge for Piccolo’s 2,000-year imprisonment. Confused yet? Fans of the best-selling Dragonball comics (and cartoons, and videogames…) might have a shot at untangling the knotty dream-logic that strangles Dragonball: Evolution’s live-action adaptation. But the rest of us — bored senseless by the story of a high-school outcast (Justin Chatwin) who bands with a mercenary (Emmy Rossum) and a martial arts master (Chow Yun-Fat) to find the precious orbs — have little to do but marvel at the fact that something this trippy made it to our local multiplex. C
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Justin Chatwin, Jamie Chung, Joon Park, Emmy Rossum; Director: James Wong; Author: Ben Ramsey, Akira Toriyama; Release Date Wide: 04/08/2009
Posted April 11 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!