Dragonballs look a bit like cueballs, or at least how cueballs might appear to a person on strong hallucinogens. They glow and swirl, and anybody who collects all seven of them inside the Dragon Temple during the ”blood-moon” eclipse will be granted one wish — unless the lizard-skinned Lord Piccolo and his ninja sidekick get there first and unleash the evil beast Oozaru to take revenge for Piccolo’s 2,000-year imprisonment. Confused yet? Fans of the best-selling Dragonball comics (and cartoons, and videogames…) might have a shot at untangling the knotty dream-logic that strangles Dragonball: Evolution’s live-action adaptation. But the rest of us — bored senseless by the story of a high-school outcast (Justin Chatwin) who bands with a mercenary (Emmy Rossum) and a martial arts master (Chow Yun-Fat) to find the precious orbs — have little to do but marvel at the fact that something this trippy made it to our local multiplex. C
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Justin Chatwin, Jamie Chung, Joon Park, Emmy Rossum; Director: James Wong; Author: Ben Ramsey, Akira Toriyama; Release Date Wide: 04/08/2009
Posted April 11 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!