Maggie Gyllenhaal has signed on for Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, a sequel to the 2006 film about a Mary Poppins-like governess played by Emma Thompson, reports Variety. Also joining the cast: Maggie Smith, Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill) and Asa Butterfield (The Boy in the Striped Pajamas). Ralph Fiennes is in discussions for an uncredited cameo. Thompson is also exec producing and writing the screenplay, based the Nurse Matilda books by Christianna Brand. The production, to be helmed by first-time feature director Susanna White (Bleak House), is set to start in the summer.
Posted April 14 2009 — 9:08 PM EDT
- Casting Net: Drew Goddard eyed to direct next 'Spider-Man'
- Mark Cuban, Ann Coulter in ‘Sharknado 3’
- 'Real Housewives' trailer: Bethenny's back
- Fall 2015 TV pilots: Updated full list
- Ellie Goulding: 'Voice' Team Adam adviser
- 'Empire' star Taraji P. Henson on origins of 'Boo Boo Kitty’
- 'SNL' host poll: How'd Dakota Johnson do?