Maggie Gyllenhaal has signed on for Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, a sequel to the 2006 film about a Mary Poppins-like governess played by Emma Thompson, reports Variety. Also joining the cast: Maggie Smith, Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill) and Asa Butterfield (The Boy in the Striped Pajamas). Ralph Fiennes is in discussions for an uncredited cameo. Thompson is also exec producing and writing the screenplay, based the Nurse Matilda books by Christianna Brand. The production, to be helmed by first-time feature director Susanna White (Bleak House), is set to start in the summer.
Posted April 14 2009 — 9:08 PM EDT
- Comic-Con 2016: 'The Flash' teases Flashpoint, introduces two villains
- Meet the beasts of 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'
- WATCH: '24: Legacy' team says new show isn't a reboot
- Comic-Con 2016: Marvel Studios panel
- 'Aliens' reunion panel features talk of next sequel, surprise proposal
- Comic-Con: 'Legends of Tomorrow' announces JSA cast, Legion of Doom
- WATCH: 'Time After Time' creator talks redesigned time machine