An artlessly powerful performance by newcomer Nicole Behaire anchors American Violet, an instructive, sturdily built drama based on a true story worth teaching: In 2001, an African-American single mother in Texas is falsely accused of drug-dealing during a housing-project raid. Pressured to plead guilty in a plea bargain by a racist District Attorney (O?Keefe), she chooses instead to file a discrimination suit with support from a northerner ACLU lawyer (Nelson) and a local lawyer (Patton). Here’s a case of activist screenwriting where didacticism in the defense of justice is no vice. B+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Nicole Beharie, Michael O'Keefe, Will Patton, Alfre Woodard; Director: Tim Disney; Author: Bill Haney; Release Date Wide: 04/17/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Batman v Superman' has two new posters to go along with that trailer
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!