After years of abuse, Mickey Rourke’s face looks like an old catcher’s mitt. But it turns out to be his secret weapon in this devastating portrait of Randy ”The Ram” Robinson — a washed-up grappler looking for redemption both inside and outside the ring. Director Darren Aronofsky nails the tiny details (the dumb-fun hair-metal music, the sad small-time arenas, the desperate interactions with Tomei’s stripper). By the end of The Wrestler, you’ve forgotten whether you’re rooting for The Ram’s comeback or Rourke’s. EXTRAS include an unusually revealing making-of doc and a video for Bruce Springsteen’s title track. A
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Robert D. Siegel; Release Date Limited: 12/17/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 15 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lin-Manuel Miranda stops by Alexander Hamilton's grave
- Ricky Gervais says Eric Bana is 'a stupid, big, lumpy idiot'
- 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' is the most beautiful 'Trek' film
- WATCH: George Clooney dodges bullet in exclusive 'Money Monster' clip
- Beyoncé, Blink-182, Fetty Wap: Grading the week's best (and worst) new singles
- Prince's iconic 'Purple Rain' coat is going up for auction
- Former Warner Bros. president: Prince 'was not like anybody else'