After years of abuse, Mickey Rourke’s face looks like an old catcher’s mitt. But it turns out to be his secret weapon in this devastating portrait of Randy ”The Ram” Robinson — a washed-up grappler looking for redemption both inside and outside the ring. Director Darren Aronofsky nails the tiny details (the dumb-fun hair-metal music, the sad small-time arenas, the desperate interactions with Tomei’s stripper). By the end of The Wrestler, you’ve forgotten whether you’re rooting for The Ram’s comeback or Rourke’s. EXTRAS include an unusually revealing making-of doc and a video for Bruce Springsteen’s title track. A
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Robert D. Siegel; Release Date Limited: 12/17/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 15 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Comic-Con 2016: 'Family Guy' panel talks possible movie, 'Star Wars'
- 'Fantastic Beasts': Eddie Redmayne leads Comic-Con in casting spell
- WATCH: 'Timeless' stars deal with time travel physics
- WATCH: Grant Gustin shares pro-tips with Kid Flash Keiynan Lonsdale
- WATCH: 'Arrow' EP teases a return to season 1-type villainy
- ‘The Revenant’ bear storms Comic-Con: Adam Savage’s best costume yet?
- 'King Arthur' trailer shows new look at Charlie Hunnam's medieval hero