After years of abuse, Mickey Rourke’s face looks like an old catcher’s mitt. But it turns out to be his secret weapon in this devastating portrait of Randy ”The Ram” Robinson — a washed-up grappler looking for redemption both inside and outside the ring. Director Darren Aronofsky nails the tiny details (the dumb-fun hair-metal music, the sad small-time arenas, the desperate interactions with Tomei’s stripper). By the end of The Wrestler, you’ve forgotten whether you’re rooting for The Ram’s comeback or Rourke’s. EXTRAS include an unusually revealing making-of doc and a video for Bruce Springsteen’s title track. A
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Robert D. Siegel; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 15 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Wizarding World of Harry Potter' set to open at Universal Studios Hollywood
- 'Dames at Sea' to dock on Broadway in Fall 2015
- Here's the list of performers for the 2015 CMT Music Awards (so far)
- Kurt Wimmer to develop scripted series with Spike
- Grateful Dead announce gargantuan 80-disc box set '30 Trips Around The Sun'
- Watch the first trailer for Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'
- 'Childrens Hospital' renewed for season 7