After years of abuse, Mickey Rourke’s face looks like an old catcher’s mitt. But it turns out to be his secret weapon in this devastating portrait of Randy ”The Ram” Robinson — a washed-up grappler looking for redemption both inside and outside the ring. Director Darren Aronofsky nails the tiny details (the dumb-fun hair-metal music, the sad small-time arenas, the desperate interactions with Tomei’s stripper). By the end of The Wrestler, you’ve forgotten whether you’re rooting for The Ram’s comeback or Rourke’s. EXTRAS include an unusually revealing making-of doc and a video for Bruce Springsteen’s title track. A
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Robert D. Siegel; Release Date Limited: 12/17/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 15 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Supergirl': That big casualty 'weighs heavy' on Kara
- J.K. Simmons and Julie Delpy lead 'The Bachelors'
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'
- See 100 years of zombie evolution in time-lapse video
- Matt LeBlanc sitcom 'I'm Not Your Friend' gets pilot, series commitment at CBS
- 'The Magicians' postmortem: Does Julia regret nearly killing Quentin?