After years of abuse, Mickey Rourke’s face looks like an old catcher’s mitt. But it turns out to be his secret weapon in this devastating portrait of Randy ”The Ram” Robinson — a washed-up grappler looking for redemption both inside and outside the ring. Director Darren Aronofsky nails the tiny details (the dumb-fun hair-metal music, the sad small-time arenas, the desperate interactions with Tomei’s stripper). By the end of The Wrestler, you’ve forgotten whether you’re rooting for The Ram’s comeback or Rourke’s. EXTRAS include an unusually revealing making-of doc and a video for Bruce Springsteen’s title track. A
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Robert D. Siegel; Release Date Limited: 12/17/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 15 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!