With its cozy references to animal ”moms” and ”dads” and its delicate avoidance of disturbing imagery in the depiction of life and death in the wild, this super-duper deluxe nature documentary (the first title from the new Disneynature label of environmentally conscious crowd-pleasers) clearly aims to recruit young viewers as conservationists. The pitch works for adults, too. Earth, a showpiece from the BBC team that made Planet Earth, is spectacularly photographed, gracefully edited, and effectively matter-of-fact in demonstrating the effects of of climate change. James Earl Jones narrates with the authority of Adam naming the animals. A?
(BBC Worldwide Ltd.)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: James Earl Jones, Patrick Stewart, Ken Watanabe; Director: Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield; Author: Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield, Leslie Megahey; Release Date Wide: 04/22/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted April 24 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!