Murderously dull stretches of dialogue suck most of the fun out of this sloppy drama about a country boy (Channing Tatum) trying to make a buck in the big city by moonlighting as an underground prizefighter. To be fair, they didn’t call the movie Talking. The bare-knuckle smackdowns at the heart of Fighting are crowd-pleasers: spasms of clumsy grappling and butcher-shop sound effects that all but knock the wind out of you. And Tatum, a putty-face hunk with a neck like a ham hock, shows an offhand ease on camera that would’ve come in handy if he were playing an actual character instead of a life-size Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robot. C?
(Phillip V. Caruso)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Channing Tatum, Terrence Howard; Director: Dito Montiel; Author: Dito Montiel, Robert Munic; Release Date Wide: 04/24/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted April 24 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Dancing With the Stars': And the winner is...
- Len Goodman is coming back to 'DWTS'
- Casting Net: Ryan Gosling eyed to play Neil Armstrong in biopic
- Trump rivals will get their equal air time on NBC stations
- 'NCIS' postmortem: Emily Wickersham reacts to Bishop's marriage troubles
- See the same-sex romance that was deleted from 'Love Actually'
- Kurt Cobain makes first Billboard chart appearance as solo artist