Murderously dull stretches of dialogue suck most of the fun out of this sloppy drama about a country boy (Channing Tatum) trying to make a buck in the big city by moonlighting as an underground prizefighter. To be fair, they didn’t call the movie Talking. The bare-knuckle smackdowns at the heart of Fighting are crowd-pleasers: spasms of clumsy grappling and butcher-shop sound effects that all but knock the wind out of you. And Tatum, a putty-face hunk with a neck like a ham hock, shows an offhand ease on camera that would’ve come in handy if he were playing an actual character instead of a life-size Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robot. C?
(Phillip V. Caruso)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Channing Tatum, Terrence Howard; Director: Dito Montiel; Author: Dito Montiel, Robert Munic; Release Date Wide: 04/24/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted April 24 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Beyoncé used New Orleans documentary footage 'with permission' in new 'Formation' video: rep
- Larry David hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Listen to Chrisette Michele's a cappella cover of Adele's 'Hello'
- 'Zoolander 2' tries to recreate the magic of Magnum in new clip
- Tony Goldwyn teases Fitz's state of mind in 'Scandal' return
- Lady Gaga says Super Bowl performance is one of the highest honors
- Beyonce surprises with powerful new single, 'Formation'