Murderously dull stretches of dialogue suck most of the fun out of this sloppy drama about a country boy (Channing Tatum) trying to make a buck in the big city by moonlighting as an underground prizefighter. To be fair, they didn’t call the movie Talking. The bare-knuckle smackdowns at the heart of Fighting are crowd-pleasers: spasms of clumsy grappling and butcher-shop sound effects that all but knock the wind out of you. And Tatum, a putty-face hunk with a neck like a ham hock, shows an offhand ease on camera that would’ve come in handy if he were playing an actual character instead of a life-size Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robot. C?
(Phillip V. Caruso)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Channing Tatum, Terrence Howard; Director: Dito Montiel; Author: Dito Montiel, Robert Munic; Release Date Wide: 04/24/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted April 24 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jason Clarke prepares the team for the journey ahead in 'Everest' clip
- R. Kelly says he wrote 462 songs for his new album, and they're all hits
- 'Vampire Diaries' cast recalls what it was like working with Nina Dobrev
- The best VMA moments, according to Facebook
- Dylan's Candy Bar is celebrating 'Mean Girls' with themed candy
- 11 outrageous moments from Miley Cyrus' surprise album
- 'Faking It' season 2B supertease: Karma and Amy pretend to be a couple again — exclusive
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!